Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 46-1226-125??

I have an upright Philco radio/turn table. I would describe the cabinet as "art deco" - wood cabinet. I would say the cabinet is in good condition.

I probably dont know where to look, but I have been unable to find this model listed any where. I am trying to determine whether I should get back in good running condition or 'discard' - I dont necessarily mean that literally.

Where can I find information about this unit: age, # of units sold, etc.

Thanks

Hi John,

Your set is vintage 1946. No Philco is ever considered "discard" unless it was in a fire, flood for a week or hit by a truck. Icon_wink

Well worth restoring.

Ron can give you info on the number or units sold, I believe - he has production figures.

If you are looking to restore the set, a full photocopy set of the service bulletins for the radio and phono are available thru my site (below).

The 46-1226 is a lot like the 46-1209 or the 47-1230, very nicely built consoles. Great cabinet constructions and a very good chassis and speaker combo. Well worth restoring and some people actually think a nice once is worth money, sold a nice 46-1209 on ebay for $233, but kept my parents old one which is being restored.

49Stude63 Wrote:The 46-1226 is a lot like the 46-1209 or the 47-1230, very nicely built consoles. Great cabinet constructions and a very good chassis and speaker combo. Well worth restoring and some people actually think a nice once is worth money, sold a nice 46-1209 on ebay for $233, but kept my parents old one which is being restored.

Thanks for the info.

I also have a couple of other Philco's, although they do not have a phonograph component. Just Radio.

Should I assume that these models have minimal interest in audiophiles?

One is a 37-610 and the other is a 42-380. Both have nice cabinets. Have not yet tried to determine working condition.

John,

Can't speak for the audio world, but both of the radios you mentioned are very collectible in the antique radio world, which is what most of us here belong to. I'm only familiar enough with the audio world to know that most "audiophiles" are big into hi-fi equipment. Neither of the radios you mentioned are hi-fi, but nonetheless are collectible and are both nice radios.

DO NOT plug these radios in to check "working condition"!!!!! More than likely the filter capactiors are bad, which could lead to disastrous results. At a bare minimum, the filter capacitors should be replaced before powering any radio of this vintage on. Also, the 1942 Philco likely contains rubber insulated wire, which is notorious for cracking. Depending on where the wires are and if they are touching anything, this can also cause damage. You can count on at least 75% of rubber insulated wiring needing re-sleeved or replaced.

By the way, the 37-610 is a 1937 model and the 42-380 is a 1942 model. As I said before, both are worth keeping. If you don't want them, I'm sure you'd be able to find someone to take them off your hands pretty easily.

Tom

Actually most people prefer non-phono versions and the 37-610 table or tombstone are very nice radios. The 42-380 is a very beautiful radio when restored so you already have a nice collection. The 42-380 will typically have a dial plate that has shrunk, they make replacements but the shrinking/cracking is standard for the type of material these faceplates were made out of. The 42-380 has a photo-finish around the speaker grille area (the zebra/burled walnut look on the sides and above the grille) be very careful with this since you don't want to strip it off if you want to refinish the cabinet. I agree with Zenith I am sure someone will be more than happy to take anyone of these radios off your hand, all are collectable the two non-phono units probably the most collectable.