Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Universal parts ?

I am wondering if I could use the universal parts that I see on AES Antique Electronic Supply . The antenna #P-C70-A , Oscillator #P-C70-OSC Coils , Potentiometer #R-VS-500KA for volume . For a Philco Model 14B . I would be happy with just BC band to work , any help will be very greatful . These three parts are my stumbling block for this rebuild . Philco part # Ant. 32-1261 / Osc. #32-1262 / Volume control on , off #33-5024 . I would hate to through in the towel on this radio a lot of time has been spent on it this far . Also what do I use if a Compensating Condenser is bad with this model ? Thank You ...

Hi All;
I would say that it would be OK, especially if you are just trying or subsituting to find out what your problem may be.. And If you are only or mostly interested in the Broadcast Band.. And getting it working.. Then I would go for it..
On the Compensating condensers, I would just get a trimmer Cap that is in the range of the Compensating cap and use that and see if it makes any difference.. It will either show that the old one is good or it is bad..
I have bought from a different supplier, the necessary coils for just that kind of thing..
Since my Philco 34 does not work, except that I will build the stages on a bread board and then tie them in to see if that fixes the problem or getting the breadboard version working first.. Instead of wiring and unwiring the different parts in the radio.. I can also after getting the bread board version working sub in the coils from the set in place of the universal coils that way I can try it out, experiment with it and hopefully find the problem, before putting it all back in the set.. Since I think my problem is in the mixer circuit, I am going to concentrate on that first.. I hope this helps..
I know that many would not agree with my logic or my way of doing things, so You need to find something that works for you.. What I say are only suggestions, or to give you some ideas of what you can do..
THANK YOU Marty

Thanks for the ideas , sure like the bread board one . If I my ask what supplier do you use for the coils ?

Hi All;
Old Magnum, I got my coils from Gary at "Playthings of the Past" He seems to have a wide variety of coils.. I just picked out some coils that I thought might work.. I looked at his "Miller listing and his Philco listing"..
http://www.oldradioparts.com/philco.txt
http://www.oldradioparts.com/miller.txt
I was fortunate that after describing what I wanted, that He sent me some old coil forms about the size and type that i wanted..
Also, the Breadboard, that I use is a wooden pine board about 3/4 to 1" thick and big enought to hold the parts I need for the circuit.. I use either screws and washers for connections or Fanstock Clips and screws.. Mounting Tube sockets on Standoffs, and leaving plenty of room for added components.. I figure that it was good enough for Edwin Armstrong, then it is good enough for me.. He squared His wire connections I do not.. But, You could make your Breadboard out of anything that suits you and Your purpose.. I hope this help.
Others may not agree with my suggestions..
THANK YOU marty