Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring a 39-7

I prefer to keep rubber and wires separate. Icon_lol

Thanks, I'll see if my local electronics shop has any...

Edit:

No luck. I have to go to the Internet. Any decent sources for these? I cannot locate any 6000pF caps, only 4700pF.

So what can I do? 4700 is enough, 10000 too much, or should I wire 3 2200's in parallel (I'd rather not tempt the fates of MTBF this way)?

Also there is one other silver mica capacitor in there - it's part 6A on the schematic. The problem is it's listed as a 20mfd device and there's no way this is 20mfd, it's just way too small. Elsewhere on the schematic it's listed as 20mmfd, which makes a lot more sense for this type of capacitor.

It sings again!

After putting up with the repaired speaker that tended to muddle the sound and distort at medium-high volumes, I decided to take a closer look

The speaker was slowly disintegrating - small cracks were developing, and the most careful light touch caused the cone to split.

So I had the speaker reconed.

It's now a whole different radio. Plays loud, tight, and clear at all volumes.

I probably put more money I to this than I should, but it would have been a pity to leave it in such poor condition.

Speaker looks very nice. Who did you send it to for reconing?

The Speaker Shop:

http://thespeakershop.com

Nice set! You've got the delux model with the brass escutcheon around the dial. Many years ago I had the chairside version of that set. Wish I hadn't sold it! Good player and very sensitive too.
Terry

Actually, this one doesn't. It's pretty plain. I have a nearly identical model with the preset tuning buttons and the brass escutcheon though. You are right about the play quality and sensitivity though. A solid little radio. The guy who had it before me wrote 38-12 on the chassis, but it is a 39-6 as far as I can tell.

Edit: no, it isn't, it *is* a 38-12 chassis. Just double-checked the schematic. Someone put a dial from a 39-6 on it and stuck it in a 39-6 cabinet. >:-(

Aw crap! Just noticed I posted about the the speaker in my 39-7 thread. At least the 39-7 is a real one.