Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-130T

Hello all, Iam new here and glad to be here. I recently retired and now have some time to get involved with restoring some of the radios that I have acquired over the last few years--first on my list is a nice Philco 40-130T. I have electronics background from years ago and Iam going to take my time and refresh my radio repair skills along the way--ok that being said, my first question is about the tube line-up in thr 40-130, the output tube is supposed to be a 7B5, but has a 7C5 in it's place--is this going to cause a problem? Iam headed off to the radio swap meet flea market here in the Seattle area tomorrow and will be looking for some tubes-so maybe on original 7B5 would be in order for the set--heck I may try to get a whole set if available

Hi, and welcome - we're glad you've joined us! Icon_biggrin

7C5 is listed as a substitute for a 7B5. The 7B5 is more like a 6K6 or 41 in characteristics, while a 7C5 is more like a 6V6. Not exactly the same - grid biasing is different between the two. I think I would go back to the 7B5 if I were you, but no real harm will be done in using a 7C5.

There is no point in buying an entire set of tubes if you don't need them - this just lowers the availability of the other tubes for people who do need them. They aren't making these anymore, folks...so just buy what you need. That's my opinion.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron--I will seek out a 7B5 and go without a whole set of tubes

Yeah, get a spare of either one, and a rectifier tube as well. The radio and ears on a two legger will never know the difference. Agree with Ron, hoarding the other ones probably not necessary.

Most times I am replacing audio output tubes or rectifiers, it is amazing how the others will last in a set that has all the right current going into them. I do keep a small stock on hand of mostly common outputs and rectifiers.

Good luck.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks for all the positive words and information so far--Yesterday I went to the yearly radio swap meet flea market event held by the Puget Sound Antique Radio folks--found the 7B5 tube I was after (actually got two) at $2.00 each ok with me. While I was at the radio meet I picked up a 42-321 Philco ac/dc set for future project--dealer wanted 45 bucks, I got for 30. I hope to get started on the original project the 40-130 this week--moe later

I have the 42 322, the 321 is fairly close to it and you may be surprised with it the extra RF stage helps a lot. On the 322 I get all my New York stations, and can usually get 740 up in Toronto from my spot in Boston. BTW that is without an external antenna. I like the veneer on the front of the 321 cabinet. A neat set with pretty good performance. Good luck with it! Post a pic if you can.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I would like to post a before picture of my 40-130, but I have not figured out photobucket or flikr yet--I will read over instuctions again

OK hope this works my Philco 40-130 before any restoration [Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...910587.jpg]

I'm guessing that's not the original grill, am I correct?

Don't know if grill cloth is original--it's the way the set came to me. I will have explore the net and see if I can find what an orig cloth looked like

It is a cute set, like the dial. Check the archive on the Philco Radio.com site for a photo with correct cloth.

paul

Tubetalk1

Actually, that cloth is correct! That pattern was never reproduced, and the cloth looks like it is in great shape - only needing to be pulled tight and reglued onto the backing board.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's good news. I can't wait to see it restored.

Well I have been so busy with family stuff, and vacation--I have not had a chance to get into the 40-130 hope to pull the chassis out of the cabinet for initial inspection next week---looks like my fall and winter project for the restoration