Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Have you ever seen a Philco like this?

It's a Philco Signal Generator. Type 024. I picked it up at an estate sale today. Is it worth restoring? As you can see, it's missing knobs and has no power cord. I don't really know what to do with it. Are they worth anything?

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Yah I think I've some on ebay. Some are battery power may not have cord.
Terry

Hi All;
Puhpow, I wish I had the money, I would gladly take it off your hands..
Just to see what is inside of it.. In other words, what Philco did to make a working Signal Generator..
I have never seen one of these Babies, nor do I know what tubes are in one of these.. Are there any schematics for this unit ?? I realize that You may not know any more than I do..
I have NO clue if it is worth anything or not..
Would You take some pictures of the inside ??
Maybe that is what I need to get my Philco 34 going, as that is what is called for to do the alignment and such.. I am not using a Philco Signal generator..
THANK YOU Marty

Sure, I'll open it up. I need a few minutes though... While you are waiting, check out this cool RCA Radiola III signal generator that I got at the same place! .. It works!

Believe that your Radiola III sig gen is a "homebrew" sig gen. The one who made it used a Radiola III cabinet to house it.

Aha... that makes sense. This guy had a ton of stuff. Several home brew items. They filled up my truck.

Here are photos of the insides... one tube socket that says "42" on it in pencil. No tube included. ..

I think I may try to restore this thing. I wonder if Chuck has a schematic?

I could spend hours amongst "junk" like that. It's even better when the old-time radio guy is there to pass knowledge.

Sadly, he passed away. I never knew him. I sure wish I had... he had loads of cool stuff like this. I got most of it today. I posted a thread in Ron's Bar and Grill with a partial list. His family was going to throw it all away.

Even with my truck full, I left so much behind that I feel bad. He had boxes and boxes of old resistors, NOS caps, tuning caps, etc.. his basement was full.

Well, do his memory right and research what you have. It sounds like you should be able to set up a nice bench to repair/align the old sets.

I am confident that a schematic exists out there somewhere for your Philco Sig Gen.

Chuck's site is a VERY good place to start!

Looks like a battery job. Your missing the #30 tube two D cells and 45v B battery.
Terry

Hi All;
PuhPow, You should see if you can go back and get another truck load, before they do throw the rest away.. If I had a truck I would..
THANK YOU Marty

At some point it begins to be a space problem. Again don't ask me how I know.
Terry

I may have service info on the small simple Philco sig gen.
It was marketed to Philco dealers as well as Philco service
shops. Early 30s vintage, I believe.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck. I will be contacting you soon and purchasing the info.

As for going back and getting more, I can't. I am completely out of room, and quite frankly, overwhelmed with what I have already.