Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hey guys
before gets too ugly here
we all have opinions to who we like, some are better then others, we try different people if not better then we stick with who we are satisfied with. Service and Delivery..
back to original question was if 7b7 was same as 7r7 as they look same and some one put them in radio which was cover in dust ,I recapped and replaced some wires turned on all tubes lite but that one and had no sound and being new I didn`t know
sam8)

It isn't going to get ugly, I won't let it...remember, I own the joint. Icon_smile

Eric - didn't mean to be argumentative, and as Sam said, it all boils down to which vendor you prefer. My point is that a lot of guys in the hobby who supply parts and services have other things going on and can not always provide instant service.

Oh, by the way, Marty - yes, Jim Cross is one of the good guys. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Are we definitely speaking of the same Bob?

My experiences have been excellent with him.

RE: tube substitution, there is a time and a place for it. Personally, I recommend them (Guides) if for nothing else than expanding one's knowledge.

And while there are definitely cases where the substitution of a tube can introduce different parameters, there are (my opinion) just as many in which the tube will function in an acceptable manner.

Many subs are not "either, or." Example: you can use a 5R4 in place of a 5Y3, BUT you cannot use a 5Y3 in place of a 5R4. Not that I would waste a 5R4 where a 5Y3 belongs, BUT if I was out of 5Y3s and had a 5R4 sitting in the stash, I would certainly use it until another 5Y3 came along.

In some radios the Manufacturer listed different types of tubes that could be used. Example: The Truetone D-697 on the schematic lists either a 6U7G or 6K7 tube for the RF and IF amp tubes. Another WG set does the same for the rectifier (5Z4 or 5Y3).

+1 TA Icon_thumbup

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

I've subbed out tubes a couple of times in the past. It kept me going until the correct tube arrived in the mail. Otherwise, the project would just sit there gathering dust. Tube sub guides are handy if you don't have a gigantic tube stash.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)