Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 20 volume control broken

I have a very nice late version model 20 cathedral that I just started work on. I noticed that the volume control looked like it was missing the back cover.

After looking at the picture that comes with the schematic on Ryders, I see that it is really a two section control. The back section must have fallen off long ago. I am guessing that the wiring was connected to the front portion of the control nearest the chassis as I don't see any loose wires where it may have fallen off from.

Are there any other models that also used this part? It seems to be hard to locate and I am wondering if I see a beat up console if I could salvage what I need. They seem to be pretty common in my area on CL, but I am not sure which may have this part other than another model 20.

Thanks
Steve

Yes, it was a two part control, and was in a couple of models from that year. They are tough but not impossible to find, I know of no aftermarket controls that apply.

Check with the Playthings of the Past site, also Mark Oppats Oldradioparts.net site.

List hasn't been updated in the past year, but PTOP did show a p/n 4094 volume control available:
http://www.oldradioparts.com/potindex.txt

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Thanks, I took another look at it today. Now I see two wipers so I believe it is intact, but without the back cover (if it had one to start with).

It was late when I looked at it last night and I am unfamiliar with these sets so I must have made a mistake. Thanks for helping. Sorry for the confusion.

Steve

What you could do, short of buying a new part, if this one is in fact operational, is to get a plastic bottle of some sort, kinda like they use in pharmacies to dispense drugs into, of such a diameter that would make it fit around the potentiometer snugly, or any similar diameter plastic tube with a bottom, cut of the bottom part such that it is the size of the lost cover (half-inch or so) and simply glue it over the pot. After all it is nothing more than a dist cover.

If, again, of course, the pot is in working condition which is easy to verify.