Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

.0001 capacitors replacement

On the model 50 & 60 there are several capacitors .0001 inside bakelite blocks. I can´t find poliester capacitors to replace them. What is the best choice?: styroflex type or ceramic or? Icon_confused:

Valentino,
.0001 mfd is equal to 100 pf. I would use silver mica caps.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Carl, thanks for your attention but these silver mica caps are not available here in my country. I have styroflex caps which are wound like the poliester ones and ceramic one which as you know is a disc type.

Do you know where I could get silver mica caps in the USA? Thanks again.

The styroflex should be a suitable replacement.
A couple of North American suppliers that I know of that ship world wide are Mouser.com and Justradios.com
Shipping costs on a few capacitors would probably be excessive.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Regarding 100/110 pF bakelite blocks, the original caps inside the blocks were, believe it or not, rolled paper - just like larger wax paper caps. Later on Philco began to use micas in replacement bakelite blocks.

In sets such as Model 60, the 100 pF caps serve as part of the AVC circuit. For these, ceramic discs work fine although silver mica is generally preferred. Anytime a small value cap is in a tuned circuit, though, silver mica is always the best choice. I use ceramic discs in AVC circuits and have never had any issues with them.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron and Carl for the answers.