Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 630

A while ago I posted about a recent Philco 630 I purchased. It was a general discussion, as I am new to antique radios. The cabinet restoration can be seen in this thread:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=7262

I have now removed the chassis and speaker from the cabinet and intend to bring them to a restorer on Long Island.The radio played when I got it, but shortly thereafter it had the following symptoms: the volume began to decrease over a period of about a minute, there were popping or crackling sounds (I think not from the speaker), and a slight burning smell. I was surprised on looking under the chassis that some electronic components had previously been replaced. I count 6 replaced capacitors (I think) and a couple of other parts, possibly resistors, and possibly some re-sleeved wires. I have attached photos of the top and underside of the chassis. There are a few blobs of wax on the bottom of the cabinet that look recent to me, and a few drips on the wires above. These drips are under the outside edge of the transformer, though I cannot see what their source is. Is there wax in the transformer? Does anyone have any thoughts based on this description what the problem is, just so I have some idea what to expect?

Attached Files Image(s)

That does not look too good. Either the transformer is bad, or there is a short on the power supply line which is causing the transformer to overheat.

You can try removing the type 80 (or it appears 280) tube from its socket and powering up the radio. If you then notice any noises, smells or wax leaking from the transformer, then it is definitely bad.

Mondial,

Thank you for that information. I removed the tube (RCA Radiotron 80) and powered up the chassis. After about a minute I heard a faint crackling which seemed to be coming from the area of the transformer and then a slight burning smell.

I assume these transformers are not readily available. Are they available at all, and is replacing it a feasible repair?

One note, the wire that leads from the chassis to the speaker was frayed and I believe is now broken, so when I powered up the chassis the speaker may have been out of the circuit, if that makes any difference.

Generic replacement power transformers are available but tend to be a bit pricey. You can probably find a complete replacement chassis for less money.

Once you removed the 80 tube, you isolated the transformer high voltage winding from the rest of the radio, so whether the speaker wire was connected or not makes no difference.

It appears from the photos that the power supply caps have been replaced somewhat recently, so a bit of work has already been done on this set. Its hard to tell whether the transformer just failed on its own, as it does happen sometimes with 80 year old parts.

Well, I guess now I am in the market for a replacement power transformer. I posted an ad in the "wants" forum, but if anyone reading this has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them. It would be useful to know the part number, but I have not been able to determine what it is. It does not seem to be printed on the transformer in my set. Thanks!