Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why are there two different electrolytic caps in my Hippo?

Re-capped a 48-460, my first time with one of these radios and there were two electrolytics in it. One was a Philco brand probably the original, a 30/25/20. Then there was another, an Aerovox 50/50 with positive leads going to the rectifier tube and the neg lead wrapped around the lead of, if I recall corectly the big .04 cap. Didn't see this on the schematic, but I replaced both of them anyway. Radio works pretty good but still getting a bit of hum. I'm just thinking of taking out the caps that I used to replace the 50/50 cap (I used two 47s) and just see what happens with that. A friend of mine who knows his way around this stuff pretty good seems to think the additional cap was put there as a replacement for the original Philco cap that probably failed at some point but when the repair was done they didn't bother taking that old one out. If that's the case, seems kinda sloppy to me.

I just finished recapping two of these "hippo's" (both 1946 models), and, you're right, there shouldn't be that extra 50/50 cap. You can see the schematic here with what you should have: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/634/M0013634.htm Click on the little eye or floppy disc symbol to open the pdf file.

I'd eliminate that 50/50 and replace the caps per the schematic.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Many times a replacement was put in place, but probably better to do it again. If you can get original schematic, best to repace it as it was. 30 and 50 mfd 250 or more WWd should do it, OK to use 400 WVDC or so replacements OK. 33 and 47 mf or whatever also OK. Should replace all the old paper capacitors too with modern ones, close enough is good. Doo this before fireing this up again, an let us know.

Hi codefox1

I recapped this radio before I posted here. When I did I replaced the original 30/25/20 electrolytic with new 33/22/22 caps. All of the other wax caps have been replaced as well.

I went ahead and removed that additional 50/50 electrolytic and everything seems to be working fine. Just a few more things need to be done and this thing will be, I guess, complete. Need to create a new loop antenna since the original is missing, needs alignment, and I ordered a repro back since that was missing also.