Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco wireless phono

I just won a 42RP2 off ebay. Does any one have one? How does this work? Can't wait to try it.
thanks
chris

Hi Chris

The 42-RP2 is a wireless phonograph. It is a single-play 78 rpm phonograph. But insttead of having a built-in audio amplifier, it contains a small transmitter which broadcasts the record bring played to any nearby AM radio.

These built-in transmitters are normally set to the low end of the AM band. In operation, you would set the radio you were going to listen to the unit over to the low end of the AM dial, then play your record on the player. You would hear the record over the radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Chris,

The 42-RP-1 and 42-RP-2 came from the factory set to 540 on the AM dial, but are adjustable to any other clear channel.

Ron and Chuck,
Do the transmitters go bad? Can replacments be found? I have not recieved it yet so I can not see what shape it is in. I was told it was taken apart but all the part are intact.
thanks for the info,
Chris

Most likely you'll find the crystal phono cartridge bad due to aging and moisture swelling/cracking. I'ts just one tube (not counting the rect.) so there's not a lot of "stuff" in there. Few caps, resistors and trimmers and a coil. The usual stuff to replace and or check. Motor may need attention and any rubber iders obviously.

I have a couple of the '41 model players as described above. The 41-RP-1 is in an open case and the RP-2 has a closing lid on the case. The 41-RP-2 belonged to old friends, and I have known it since new. They gave it to me many years ago. The oscillator has a 6A7 for the oscillator and modulator. A 6Z4/84 is the rectifier. Circuitry in the oscillator is very simple. Unlike most wireless players, this one couples into the AC line, and transmits as a carrier current transmitter. The original owners used it in their living room with an old US Radio & TV superhet radio and it worked beautifully. About 1963 or so, they bought a new stereo console and gave me the RP-2.

The only difficulty today, if a live cartridge can be found, is finding a quiet spot on the AM band, even down at the low end. As one may expect, Philco's circuit engineering made this player a cut above most other makes in performance.

The operating range of the RP1 and RP2 is 530 - 580 KHz. Changing C17 in the schematic below to a lower value will raise the operating range if needed.

In most areas, the lowest frequency AM station is 540 KHz. HAR (Highway Advisory Radio, otherwise known as TIS (Travel Information Service) is authorized by the FCC to operate at 530 KHz or between 1600 and 1610 KHz, but this is rather compressed in frequency response and has a range of 1 mil or less. So if you are not near a highway, and the lowest frequency AM Station in your area is no lower than about 560KHz, and you have a radio that can tune as low as 530 KHz, then you are in.

The usual repairs (changing all paper and electrolytic caps) should be done. Your biggest issue will be finding a good replacement for the crystal cartridge, which will be likely dead. There are rebuilders of these cartridges, but I don't know of any. Ceramic cartridges are available but may not have the drive needed. A magnetic cartridge will be too expensive and will require a preamp.

These "Phono Oscillators" and wireless phonographs were somewhat popular in the 1940s. RCA and Zenith also offered Phono Oscillators (I don't know if they were offered integral to the turntables; RCA radios usually had phono input terminals, and then the famed "RCA Jack"). My 41-250 does not have a phono input but has a phono button on the push button tuner. There is a sticker on the rear inside of the 41-250 that states "Built in TV Sound and FM - The Wireless Way!" (Funny, they don't mention Phono).

Don't expect HiFi out of this, especially with the original cartridge, which likely still uses a steel needle, like the original Victrola. Just the fact that the audio signal is modulating RF causes distortion (I often just patch the audio directly into the radio's amp section. I have been spoiled by HiFi and live concerts of classical and Big Band Music, but listening to Big Band Music over the radio is part of the "experience" I guess.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013576.pdf

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Oops, did not see the date of the post. Hafta stop driving a computer in my sleep. Prayers for Doug Houston.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55