Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 91 Reception

I have recapped a Philco 91 cathedral radio I recently purchased. The recapping included the electrolytics, the filter caps and every one of the bakelite blocks. It seems that I am able to receive stations at the high end of the band with little to no hum. However when I tune from say 1200 kHZ all the way to the low end I do not receive any stations and the hum increases. It does decrease around 600 kHz but then increases again to the low end. Since every capacitor has been changed what else could be causing this poor reception.

Thanks,

Charlie

Could you bring the set elswhere in your home and see if you are having the same problem? So many symptoms are caused by devices not dreampt of when the radios were made, so it's a hunting game for sure. Doesn't offhand seem like a fault with the radio itself, assuming a proper alignment was done, but I'm sure there are other helpful opinions to come.

Does the 91 have a regen control? If so, it may be set too high.

Charlie,

Did you align the set after you re-capped it?. If not it would most likely help out.

-Keith

I have a similar effect on several of my radios; might not necessarily be a problem. Closer to the high end of the SBC scale the reception is better and at about 600kHz and down there is some pronounced hum/buzz.

You also might want to see if you have a problem with the wafers on your tuning capacitor touching/rubbing.