Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 91 shadowmeter coil fun

Hey everyone,
I'm working on my 91 chassis and this is my first time dealing with a shadow meter. My shadow meter coil showed open so I opened it up hoping that the break would be near the lead. Well the coil windings were covered in what appeared to be either several layers of wound thread or a gauze like tape that held the lead wires to the coil. I VERY carefully cut this material loose to expose the windings and found not one break but about a dozen!! All right where the lead out wire crossed over the coil windings. My guess is/was that something in the insulation caused the coil wire to corrode. Anyway, not being smart enough to leave the shadow meter inoperative, I decided to try my hand at rewinding the coil Icon_crazy! I've read the articles on the site about it and I got a roll of 40 gauge enameled wire. Thru trial and error I managed to rig up a crude device to wind the coil using a variable speed drill with an attached drill jig I had laying around, and am now in the process of rewinding the coil. I've got about 200 ft of wire on the coil form right now and "PLINK" the wire broke. Man! that 40 gauge stuff is fragile!!!! What makes it more difficult is that my coil does not have a cylindrical core, but a flattened out one, so it's trickier to wind. My question is what is the best way to splice such fine wire? Will using a soldering iron burn off the enamel coating so it can be soldered or what do you clean the enamel off with? That wire is so thin I don't think sanding it would work? If anyone has done this before and has any tips I would GREATLY appreciate hearing them! Thanks!!
Kevin

Old enameled wire has to be scraped off to solder. Most of the new stuff does not need to be scraped off to solder. Once done you should re-enamel the joint.

Many glues would slowly dissolve the enamel exposing the copper. You have to watch contact cement. It will eat paint over time.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

See my Service Tip No. 1

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip01.htm

Chuck