Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-3XX chassis repair/disassembly questions

Finally got around to getting the chassis and speaker out of my 38-3XX this evening. After replacing the missing top center dial lamp (the one that makes the illuminated "dial pointer" work), I started looking the rest of the chassis over. It looks like a nightmare to work on, mainly because there is a sub-chassis (RF section?) assembly on top of the main chassis that is attached to the complicated dial mechanism via the tuning capacitor.

My first question is, is there a "best way" to remove the sub-chassis from the main chassis without disassembling EVERYTHING (i.e., the entire tuning dial assembly), so I can replace the paper-and-foil capacitors and anything else that may need replacement under there (rotted wire, bad resistors, etc.)?

My second question is, I want to install a monaural RCA jack and switch into the circuit so I can hook up my 1947 Pilotuner T-601 FM tuner to the radio without making the hookup permanent (I could also use it to plug my phonograph in, too). Where and how do I need to hook up the jack and switch, so that it disconnects the IF (to prevent bleed-over) and allows me to use the audio section for the Pilotuner? Here is a similar set-up that was done on a Silvertone 1970A I used to have, but I had "help from the experts" on that one as well...
[Image: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/download...p?id=21532]