Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Craigslist Atwater Kent

Found locally. Works. AK model 60

[Image: http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t679...91edd8.jpg]

[Image: http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t679...5958fa.jpg]

Early Christmas present.

Nice. The 60 should be easy to find parts for like the front panel. Was a popular set. I've got a 55 or 60 in a Kiel table.
Terry

I had a 60 in a Kiel table and it was a good performer. Only sold it because of space concerns at the time.

No matter where you go, there you are.

This is my first AK, compared to the others I have (Philco, Z, Rca, GE, Gloritone & some odds & ends) what immediately struck me upon inspection was the build quality of the chassis. The old gentleman who I purchased it from had re-finished the cabinet at some point and I would say it is a fair job....not what I would have done but presentable. I may try to re do it somewhat at a later date. It was his first old radio, he decided he didn't really want to pursue the hobby all that much after the experience....plus his wife would not allow it in the living room where he wanted to display it. I have heard a similar story a lot lately from guys about the wives not being amenable to the hobby. Those of us whose wives are supportive or at least tolerant are fortunate.

There's a lot of radios out there that have become homeless due to the wife and it not matching the decor she wants, although there are men just as guilty.
The AK model 60 is a great addition to anyone's collection and I wish I could find another in a regular upright cabinet. It has good overall sound for the time and the one I had in the Kiel table would really pull in stations. Also, I think these are at or near the end of the line for the older style AK chassis with the copper strip driven tuning gangs.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Men are weak. They will trade anhything for...you know what. To let go an old radio is like putting a dog in a shelter. Because the wife does not like the smell. Or the size.
When will we learn. Icon_sad

Morzh, I think we all know what you are talking about......ANYTHING for some peace and quiet.....Icon_wink

Took a little time this weekend and cleaned the chassis up a little, replaced the rubber drive piece on the back of the tuning knob, replaced the dial lamp, and re- insulated the bare wiring off the power switch. The power cord had several bad places and I shortened it until all the bad places were gone. The set plays very well and receives well and has nice sound. It's a keeper.