Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for assistance with model

Hello all, interesting site with a lot of info.. I am new to Philco radio's but looking forward to learning about them. I got the one below from my dad (because he is running out of room with his) however, I do not know the model # and thought someone here would be able to ID it for me. I am looking for the schematic for it becuase the string that moves the dial came of the pulley wheels in the back. I'm not sure how to get in there and put the string back to its original state. If anyone could help out I'd appreciate it. Thanks. (The pic os on a website I am building for my father in law.)
http://www.garfieldacehardware.com/id69.html

I can't give you the exact model number but I can tell you were to find it on the cabinet or chassis. It appears to be a console version of the this table model , http://radioatticarchives.com/images/p/P...chbaur.jpg It is in the 40-42 model year range and if you can count the tubes that would help also. Normally Philco would stamp on the chassis the model number followed by 121 or 125 etc. so in your case you may see 41-2xxx. Look on the inside of the cabinet to see if there is a piece of paper pasted to it that shows the tube types and locations, if so that would have the model number on it. For schematics you can do a search on the net for the " Philco repair bench" and it will take you to Chuck's site and he sells schematics that show how to repair and restring the radio. Philco sometimes used the radio chassis in several different cabinets types, table model, console, chairside or tombstone.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately the sticker was ripped off on the inside, I only see about a half an inch off it. I'll keep looking

Thanks again
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

It looks like it might be a 41-260 (1941 model), but let's see what Ron says.

One word of caution. A radio of this vintage should have it's filter capacitors and paper capacitors replaced for safety's sake. Also, with this radio being a 1941 model, there's a pretty good chance it contains rubber insulated wire, which is notorious for cracking and exposing the bare wire. This can also be hazardous. About 3/4 of the rubber coated wiring I find in pre-WWII radios needs re-sleeved or replaced. It can be a long task, but in the end it's worth it.

That being said, here's a schematic (if it is indeed a 41-260). http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/412/M0013412.htm

Good luck!

Tom

I checked Ron's book and it is a 41-260F and it would have the XXL tube with two bands

It's a 1941 Model 41-260F, like Stude says. Page 141 lower right in Ron's book.

Chuck, I didn't have access to my philco book on the earlier post but thought it might be based on the 41-245 like Philco did with the 38-7 but after a little more digging the 41-245/246 had 3 bands and the 41-260F only had 2 bands and the 260 seemed to have more a mix of octals/loctals than the 245 had.

Thanks a lot for the help. Now that I have a start I'm going to start digging around to find out how to fix the dial string. I'm going to check out the wires for breaks in the insulation as well. This site seems like the ideal place to start the repair work. Thanks again.

Kevin what suburb? I grew up near Lorain Ohio and watched Big Chuck and Hollihan/later little John and listened to Pete on WWWE now WTAM 1100. Just picked up two radios when I was up to visit my dad, one in Mogadore and the other in Parma.

Chardon, originally from Mentor. Actually I might pick up this radio from a guy in Euclid this weekend. What do you think $10.00 is it worth it? http://cgi.ebay.com/6579309342

Kevin - NAAH. Icon_biggrin

Seriously, that could be an awesome radio, properly restored. I've restored a nearly identical set, a Model 41-300, and now have one of my own and I think it's great! You really should go for that set, especially if it's a local pickup for you.

The only difference between the 41-295 and 41-300, besides the cabinets, is one less tube in the 295. The 295 uses a 7C6 as second detector/AVC/1st audio. The 300 uses two tubes in this circuit; a 7A6 dual diode as second detector/AVC, and a 7C6 as 1st audio. Padding the tube count, really, as both should play equally well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That is a nice radio if you don't want it let me know and I will scarf it up.

I emailed him and said I would grab it if it doesn't sell, I mean if you want to bid by all means feel free. Thats the beauty of capitalism and democracy. I am looking to learn and refurbish (on the free time I do have) and thought this might be one to try it on. Really though I don't want to hold you back. Thanks
Kevin

Kevin, the auction ends this afternoon...still no bids...GO FOR IT!!! Icon_biggrin Believe me, you will be glad you did. This is a fantastic performer, even with its built-in loop antenna.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN