Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Christmas Present - 118MX

Hey Jamie, do you have a higher res version of the 118 under-chassis photo? I am working on the same chassis and it would be useful as a reference of a relatively untouched original.

Sure do. ... I am afraid to post a full sized image here because it messes up the forum. How can I get it to you?, .. If you need close ups of certain areas, let me know. So far, all I've done to mine is replace the electrolytic caps and stuffed two bakelite blocks.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Puhpow;

What an excellent find! I know you are proud of it. We all look forward to your status reports. Your Christmas came early indeed!

Joe

What a great Christmas present PuhPow! The echo board on the back of yours is the same as mine, on a 116x. There was an echo board for sale awhile back on ebay in perfect cond. 35.00 plus shipping. Wish I would have bought it as mine has one corner broken off.
Good luck with the recap. Hope you don't report any PuhPow!! sounds from the radio. LOL.

Thanks guys. I can't believe how lucky I got to find this model in such good condition. It was a Craigslist find. Some lady had purchased the radio at an auction. It had been on CL for a week before I noticed it. The cabinet is like new, so no work to be done there (other than destroying a huge spider's nest). Icon_eek

The chassis is exceptionally clean. There are eleven bakelite blocks (if I counted correctly), a bypass can with 4 caps in it, and three electrolytics in two cans. Not a terrible job, but not easy either. All of the tubes, with the exception of the 80, seem to be original Philco tubes and they all tested better than good.

So far, I've cleaned and lubricated all of the normal stuff. Tested tubes. Replaced electrolytics and restuffed two blocks. I've got the bypass can disconnected and I'm trying to decide if I will restuff it, or replace it with a terminal strip. It will need some new rubber under the tuning cap and on the corners of the chassis. Hopefully the shadowmeter coil is good. We will see, and I will keep everyone updated. Icon_thumbup

The big bleeder resistor used in the B+ supply was open in my 3118B, I looked under the chassis recently and I apparently removed it as some point. It hasn't been messed with that much, but it is not as minty as your chassis with assorted rust spots. But it's a Canadian model 3118B so it has a different cabinet then an American 118B, in fact it looks related to the 118MX cabinet style wise.
Regards
Arran

Such a nice radio, I love the color of the finish! What a great find!

Sweet! I'm very jealous of your beautiful cabinet. I picked one up over the summer that suffered some nasty water damage Icon_sad

Just a little update... I finally got through all of the capacitors and resistors... She's singing like a bird!!!! Icon_biggrin

I've got an issue with the volume control, as it is still a little scratchy and cuts out at low volume. I think I need to clean it up a little.

The GREAT news is the shadow meter!! It worked like a champ as soon as I fired up the set!!.. All I had to do was adjust the light bulb clamp a little to center the shadow!!! Icon_thumbup How is that for luck??

With a little more work, I will have the chassis back in the cabinet. It sure does sound sweet. This thing is LOUD too!

I received a 118 cathedral for Christmas and finished the chassis a few days ago and must say this is a fantastic radio that is very sensitive and has excellent sound quality, with out a doubt one of the nicer radio's I have. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will as the cabinet is in great condition as well.

Gregb

Greg, please post a photo! I would love to see the set.

Click where it says "New Reply", then scroll down, until you see "New Attachment" "Browse",
Click "Browse", then find the photo. Then click on it.
Then Click "Add Attachment" on the right of the filename.
Then click "Insert into post"
Then post your message.

It might take a couple of tries, but you'll get it!

OK, just having supper and then I will go take a couple pics and give it a try. Mine is all back together so will try to get a clear shot of the chassis. Sadly on the chassis one of the original filter caps is missing but as soon as I get a chance to go to my storage locker I think I have some that will do the trick.

Gregb

OK, here are the pics I HOPE.

Gregb

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow! What a nice radio! I think yours might even be cleaner than mine.

I don't know about that, the 118MX looks pretty sweet as well and I would be proud to have it my collection.

Gregb