Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley Table top fiver

My new project a Crosley 517-7h looks like fun[Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...73c917.jpg]

First thing on this was to chop off the decomposed line cord--soon I will pull chassis and scope out the project. [Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...b9dcb6.jpg]

Well, good thing is though it's a radio that schematically the same as any AA5, it is a transformer radio and not a hot chassis.
I guess the usual is in order, you know what to do - recap, recarb etc, the only thing I will remind you of - the cap #40 (Mains filter) - make it a Y-cap with the appropriate voltage rating. Don't use regular caps, even if hi-voltage types - only use Y. And do it every time you decouple MAIN to chassis or anything touchable.

Thanks Morzh--but I guess I need a definition of a Y cap (I probably know it under a different term)

I think it's called a Y cap cause you wonder why you are using it???
Set will work fine without it and won't give you the minor shock hazard.
Terry

Well, I guess maybe in some cases it helps and in some it does not. Also since it goes only to one prong the plug may need to be rotated when plugged to find in what position the noise is minimal.

In any case, Y and X are ratings for line filter caps and in particular Y guarantees that the cap does not fail in shorted mode, thus guaranteeing you are not going to be electrocuted if it fails. Which is not to say that you might not receive a minor shock if you decided to touch the chassis and the Earth at the same time, as 10nF is in excess of today's recommended value for 'touch current' (that is 10nF will allow more current that the specs dictate). Still, this is far from the electrocuting value.

Here's a discussion on X, Y and X/Y Safety caps (I'm not associated with Just Radios) http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html

Thanks all--I will investigate the X and Y deal via info that Bob linked me to---Well Iam relaxing with a cold brew, waiting for family to gather--and I will soon start cooking the New Years Eve meal for my crew (curried Shrimp)--a Happy and productive New Year to all

Neat set. Kinda looks like Crosley literally took a tombstone cabinet and laid it on its side!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce,
I was thinking the same thing!! Somewhere I have a 2V Fiver from 1937. 5 tubes and runs off batteries. Plays great but not really loud.
Onward to the Three Stooges Marathon!
Terry

Pulled chassis today-no dial cord, does anyone know where I could get dial cord stringing diagram ? also hints for clean-up of dial, Iam guessin to just gently peel back metal tabs holding on plastic dial cover with printing on it--but how to clean without damage to that nice original crosley dial is a mystery--maybe just q-tips and water ? [Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...177949.jpg]

The dial string is simple on that model. There is a big pulley behind the dial and the tuning shaft is the center shaft. The string runs around the big pulley, then loops around the shaft two or three times. The dial turns in the same direction as the knob, so no need to figure 8 it.

As for cleaning the glass, just clean the front like you would any glass. The back has the graphics, so use a q-tip and be very careful.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Thanks PuhPow--I hope to get some time today to get to the radio---I will proceed with caution on the dial, its a cool dial and I don't want to screw it up. Good to know about the dial cord rigging !! George

Iam finally getting some time to get back to this project--seems that since I retired last summer that I have many family things that keep me busy, which is not a bad thing, but I have to remind myself to take some me time once in a while--Ok on to the radio,I took the dial faceplate off and it turned out to be glass and it cleaned-up nicely. Currently re-learning my way around a schematic, seems like many radios that it has had some repairs done, in this case rather unorthadox--after a lot of study of the schematic I figured out what had been done--so Iam now in the process of replacing electrolytics and capacitors, hope to have the under the chassis work done in the next few days. George

That's a nice looking Crosley with a unique cabinet design. The dial is also more colorful than the standard all gold "fiver" dial.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"