Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IF Alignment on Model 19 - what tool?

Hi Everyone,

I want to align my recently refurbished 19B. The IF alignment seems to be done by turning a 1/4" bolt on a screw. The problem is that two of these bolts are at high voltage, so I don't want to use a metal wrench.

Alignment instructions that I got from Chuck mention using a Philco fiber wrench, but I don't have one of those. What do you people use for this, and where can I get it?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

What I used is a BIC pen shell. Pull the smaller (1/4") end out of a 6-in-1 screwdriver, heat up the pen tube with a lighter, force the attachment in the tube, and role it on a hard surface. You can also use more substantial pipe if you want it to last.

you can make on by heating up a nut the size of the one on the radio by taking the guts out of a bic type ball point pen pushing the hot nut in the end of the pen. thats what I did it worked ok just make sure the nuts on the radio turn free.

Skyscraper, Vinzer,

DohIcon_redface I would never have thought of that. Thanks!!

Jon

Your Welcome

The funny thing in this is that we have something like 50 Bic pens lying around now. We hosted a shower recently and needed a bunch of pens for a game that they played . Now we have all of these extra pens that I will never use.

This gets rid of one of them at leastIcon_lol

Jon

Jon here's a thread on this http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=1544 . I tried the pen approach and kept smushing them into a messy goo so I took a different approach that shows up near the end of the following thread thread http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...ompensator

I wonder if there is such a thing as a brass nut driver?? You could wrap it with tape for the live ones and it would stand up way better than any of the plastic things and no interaction with the trimmer.

Gregb

Klondike,

Thanks for the links. I did a search before I posted my question, but I didn't notice either of them.

Much appreciated.

Jon

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to give another shout out to skyscraper and vinzer. Thanks again for the "Bic tip". I aligned the radio tonight and it went great. The BC band tracks nicely across the dial. Then, I was just about to call it quits for the night and I decided to try the SW band. Not much there, but I got a big surprise at the top of the dial. All of the sudden I started hearing the beep, beep, beep of CHU out of Ottawa at 3.33MHz. I couldn't believe it. ~430 miles. Not too shabby considering I was in the basement. Can't wait to get it all back together and connected to my bigger antenna in the attic.

Jon

Sure, I got it from someone else along the way. They don't last more than a couple uses, but are great if you don't have anything else.

I was planning on listening around late tonight, but it's raining and I don't have a lightning arrestor. But before that antenna, I got clear channel stations over more than 1,000 miles with 20 ft on the basement ceiling.

Will