Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-10 Volume

Recapped & replaced out of tolerance resistors
Plays but low volume touch top of tuning cap with insulated screw driver plays loud. Wave same under oscillator tube volume increases.
changed out tubes also with tested new ones. where do I start
I am new to this.[/b]

Joe

You could start by

1. Giving the link to the schematic (on the Nostalgia air, for example) so we do not have to go and look. Common courtesy.
2. Trying to observe some separation in sentences, as it is kind of hard for me to read what you wrote. It is a bit cryptic.
Another common courtesy. You came for help, we are glad to give it to you, but don't make it harder for us to do.

Having said this,

Welcom to the forum.

What kind of ant are you using? The 38-10 needs something as simple as 6-10 feet of wire connected to either the A or B ant terminal do not worry about a ground at this time. Just lay the wire on your work bench or place on bookshelf or something off the floor. CFL lights will make a lot of noise so turn them off. Good Luck David

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/233/M0013233.htm
Hooked up the antenna wire about 10 feet still same issue
If I touch the grid cap on the oscillator tube plays great at full volume.
Any idea's ? thank you all

Sounds like you may have an open antenna coil. If you receive signals well at the grid cap of the 6A8 but not the antenna input, then the coil is the prime suspect.

Try measuring the resistances of the ant coil windings. The readings are printed on the schematic next to the respective windings.

Joe, check your antenna transformers, (items 1 and 2) for continuity and get back to us.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Your getting lots of good advice and help already so I'll just say welcome to the Phorum!

I say it is an open antenna coil - item 1 on the sch.

I agree with Morzh. But you did spend a lot of time replacing cap and resistors you might have damaged or broken wires going to an from the ant coil. I had broken the wire running from the coil to the tuning cap on my 38-15 were it connects to the tuning cap 2 hours later I felt like a fool. Using your meter look for a open winding. Next take your cameria take lots of pictures of the ant coil use something for a reference point in the each picture. load said pictures on computer enlarge look for breaks in wire if you are lucky might find something easy to fix. Hopefully any breaks will be in a coil of few turns and easy to fix. David

Checked both coils # 1 on the dwg I have no continuity. # 2 on the Sch is fine... Will check the resistance readings tonight. thanks to all