Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

And here I thought I had the world's only 41-616...

Then my wife sees this on ebay:

Philco 41-616

And the cabinet's in better shape than mine too Icon_sad

The seller's right about the size though, I transported mine from VT to WI in the back of a dodge caravan. Whoever ends up with the thing will have a challenging mechanical/electrical restoration job on his/her hands too....

I saw that bad boy and if my basement was not full of consoles that I am restoring I would go for it. Nice looking radio and it would take two or three guys to carry it since it took me and my son to carry a 41-611P with the speaker, chassis, and phono out of it.

Nice radio. I can't say that I've ever seen one in person, but I definitely wouldn't mind having one in my collection.

Wonder how much the thing weighs? I carried my 38-116 into my place by myself and let's just say that's an adventure I don't care to repeat!

Tom

Tom I would say that unless you want a painful trip to the hospital I would not attempt it based on my 41-611P radio. I am sure the 616 is heftier than the 611P and I have a 38-116 also and it is lightweight compared to the 611P.

Two full grown men can move it. I've had the "pleasure" of moving mine twice. Its easier than it looks because you can get a good grip underneath because of the legs. I'd say its not any heaver than 180 lbs. My wife can slide it out to vacuum under it too. Still, it's a monster for sure.

Hi Gang!

I just saw this posting and even though it's been almost 6 months I thought I'd like to "chime in" on this discussion..............................

I'm the guy who bought the Philco 41-616 from the Ebay Auction last November. Although I'm not usually interested in the 40's vintage Philco units, this one really caught my eye and my fancy.

I was intrigued to find a set that had all of the "special" Philco features built into it. Specifically that would be the Mystery Control, the Beam of Light Phonograph, and the Philco Home Recording Unit. This particular unit included the original Mystery Control Remote and the Home Recording Microphone. And to top it all off, the cabinet was in beautiful condition too. Surprisingly it looked as good in person as it did in the Auction photographs.

So, one cold December Day I drove my trusty little 4 cylinder Ford Ranger pick up from NJ out to IN and picked up the set. And you're all quite right, this is a VERY heavy console. Two people can handle it if they're in good physical condition, but it's a struggle. Once we got it loaded and covered I was off for home. It was lucky for me that I managed to stay just a few miles ahead of a raging snowstorm that followed me all the way back to NJ. But we made it, and I've been working on this monster ever since.

It's been a real challenge to say the least. But, one by one I've worked through all of the problems and difficulties and am approaching the finish line. I've got just a few more "bugs" to work out though, and I was hoping to speak to someone who has a working BOL system. That's where I'm presently having a problem. Not ever having seen or heard one in person, I'm not sure what to expect from the system. It seems to have lackluster, hoe hum sound reproduction, and I'm not sure if it's my unit, or just the "nature of the beast"? The BOL arm was rebuilt (that's a WHOLE other story). Any input would be greatly appreciated. I also have a few specific questions about the WC (Webster Chicago) Deluxe 3 post changer and was hoping the speak to someone having the same changer unit.

Thanks for a very enjoyable and informative forum.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Got your PM over on Antique radios. Your 41-616 was in supurb cosmetic shape IIRC. Could you please do me a favor and take a closeup picture of the knob that switches the recording option on your turntable? It's right next to those "VU" meters immediately to the left of the tonearm. From the ebay pics, I could see that your's was original but I need a closeup so I can track another one down.

Tks!

Kevin