Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor replacement kit

Does anyone know where to get a "capacitor replacement kit" for a Philco radio model 70 (and a few others I have around)? I read in a post from Andrew Fleck where he mentioned a kit for his model. I have done some searching and only come up with generic kits. I posted in his thread, but so far havent gotten any reply.

Thanks

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Mark Oppats antique radio parts.

I go to Mouser for all my needs (I mean - electronics related Icon_lol )

Yes Mouser has caps, but Oppat will put together a cap kit for you if you give him the model number.
murf

I am all for letting Mark make a buck.

Myself, it is just that an EE in me wants to be in charge of picking caps. Icon_smile

Agree, good source and friend of forum. Also http://www.justradios.com/ and many others.

I use "Just Radio's". I've always had great service from them! They have kits for pre and post war radios with a good assortment of the most used caps.
Kevin

Sure, Justradios has the caps but not the service. I emailed them 3 weeks before I got a reply. Now I am currently at 9 days since my last contact for an error they made.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I don't buy from Just Radios even though I live in Canada, the selection of parts is not as good, and whatever they do sell is the same as what Mark, WJOE, Bob's, AES, and Radio Daze sells but at higher prices. First you need to figure out which production run of a model 70 you have, just in case there were any running changes. I've never seen the point in paying a premium for a so called "kit" of replacement capacitors when you can simply go by the factory literature and figure that out yourself, plus they almost never have replacement resistors to go along with them, I think that Mike and I are in agreement there. So what happens if they screw up? Fill out the order based on the wrong model or the wrong production run? I've made a habit of adding a complete list of all carbon resistors used in an early to mid 30s set, and often later, simply because radial lead "dog bone" resistors with a body-end-dot code have a habit of drifting upward in value as much as 100% or more over what they should be, unlike a cap going bad they won't burn anything up, at least not immediately, but the radio will not perform as well.
Regards
Arran

I agree, and I could re-iterate: I simply don't want other people making decisions for me as to the choice of parts, and also I do not know the people well enought to trust their judgement on the picks, especially the electrolytic caps as I am somehow sure they will try to meet capacitance/voltage and this will be the extent of it whereas I think that at least in some radios things like ripple current should be paid attention to also. I also want to be in charge in picking manufacturers.

Resistors are easier but still.....as long as I am buying my own caps might as well throw the resistors in and lower the per-item shipping charge.

Again, some people do not feel copfortable enough dealing with electronics and having to analyze what they need and the klits will likely meet the minimum requirements, amd then some of those who are fairly proficient in electronics still want the headache to be handed down the purchasing chain, and I am not trying to dissuade them.
Myself I simply do not have the need to do this and plus like I said it leaves me feeling being in charge of the whole process so if something is screwed up it is my own fault and no one else's.

Hey all, thanks for the advice and replies. Sounds like I am better off grabbing the Riders manual and ordering the parts individually. Thats why I wrote in. I have been following the 90 rebuild (morzh), and I am sure a lot of that will also apply to the 70. I have several others setting around that also need a little attention, so it wouldnt hurt to order in enough caps to do several at the same time.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I'd like to put in a good word for WJOE. He has very reasonable pricing and shipping, as well as many of the peculiar older cap values Philco used (at least in my case). My orders have come in about 3 days, with no problems whatsoever.

Tim

yes, though 70 close to one of them single-ended output 90s, the detector in fact the same as in 2-45 90.
And otherwise they are not as dissimilar. (speaking of which....considering I have a spare semi-junk 70 chassis, why didn't it occur to me to measure the inductance of the RF filter after 2nd detector in that chassis - they should be the same or very close. As they say in Russia, "a Russian's hindsight is always 20/20").
As a matter of fact I am about to start on my 70 now that I am done with 90, so we may do things in parallel and compare notes when needed.

Mike.

This sounds good Mike. I'd tried a PM about some details on the project, but your box is full and wont let me send. I hope to start mine next week after I finish a 'house remodel' project. Thanks all for the replies.

Tim

Tim

Let' s ask Ron, I have no messages and it shows 100%.