Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Books on restoring Tube Radios

A while back I saw some people recommend a couple books on learning to restore tube radios. I cant seem to find the thread though. I think one of them was called "The All American Five". Can anyone give me a couple suggestins on good books to learn about electronics restorations? Thanks for your time.

A book titled as "AA5" will probably have, well, AA5s in it. And with AA5, you restored one (OK, two) of them - you pretty much know them all. Even those made in Latvia (can I still call them AA5 or should I go like AL5?).

Somehow I think there are not tons of those out there, and if you look at two or three and look at reviews (and solicit opinions) you will know what you need.

Makes sense about the AA5 book...On the other thread there were a few suggestions, hopefully someone will suggest a few for tube radio restorations.. Thanks.

I looked up "The All American Five" on Amazon. Amazon, of course, suggested other books on the topic. Most of them have reader reviews. You might find something you want, at the level you want.

The book I started with is "Elements of Radio Servicing" by Marcus and Levy, 1947. It's not about restoring, exactly, and it doesn't address cabinet restoration, but it is a thorough text book on understanding, diagnosing, and repairing basic tube radios. It addresses test equipment, diagnosis, alignment. You can download a copy in six pdf files for free from here http://www.antiqueradios.com/archive.shtml It might be kind of expensive to print all 473 pages, if you don't want to read in on your computer, but I'm told the book is often available on ebay.

John Honeycutt

Warren I think this might be the thread you were thinking of. It lists some books.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...7#pid54007

Yes, that looks like the thread I was thinking about. Guess im not very good at searching for a thread. Thanks for your help.