Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Changed caps in a 40-190

Soooo I finally got around to replacing the caps in my 40-190. Got orange dips from just radios.com. A lot of the stations sound great (850,1420,1100) and more. But on some I always get a low static even on some of the higher stations. Could it need a resistor replacement or just bad signal since I live on the ground floor in a condo?

AJ

Easy to check for interference. Take it outside and try it. Plug it into a different circuit, etc. If that doesn't fix it, make sure the tuning cap is clean. Dust between the plates can cause static. Resistors? I always check them when I am recapping. If you didn't, you can be sure that at least some of them have drifted in 73 years. I don't know if that would cause static though...

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Disconnect the antenna loop and turn up the volume. If the static is still heard when no stations are being received, then most likely it is being internally generated.

If you only hear the interference when the antenna is connected then it probably is from an external source. As PuhPow mentioned try taking it outside as far from the house or other wiring as possible and see if it is reduced.

A bad resistor or cap can make static noises, but the noise will be present also with the antenna disconnected and no signal being received.