Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

electrolytic's

Question about electrolytic caps, can you replace a 20 25 volt with a 20 160 volt or is that pushing it.

Usually you can replace a lower voltage rated cap with a higher rated one.
The latter are larger.

Always OK to replace with a higher D.C. rating and mind carefully the polarity. Modern components wqill be a fraction of the old parts, but do follow the original dressing of leads. Do make sure original parts are disconnected or totally (best) removed from the set.

Thank you to all. I thought it could be done but wasn't sure about going that high (from 25v up to 160v). Thank you

The new higher voltage rating capacitor will have an easy life only running at 20 or so volts! It will last "forever" assuming it is not run in too hot an environment that is. What is the temperature rating of the new capacitor? I try to get the 105 deg C ones instead of the 85 deg C ones.

Herb S.

The voltage of a capacitor is more of a tolerance rating than a functional one. A 50v cap will do the same thing as a 5,000v one, only difference being the latter can take much harsher conditions.

the temp rating is 105c

Skyscraper

When you say "tolerance" the meaning of it in electronics is, well, the accuracy of your value, that is 5%, 10%, 20%, and not the voltage.

Just so people don't get confused. I for a second (actually for about 30 seconds) did. Icon_smile