Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cap questions on model 89 (version 6 schematic)

I really could use another pair of eyes and some good advice here from those more experienced than I. I'm trying to replace the caps in the #7 Filter condenser bank. There are 5 caps in that "bank", each are number 7 on the attached schematic. I'm trying to find where the .09 mfd's go? It almost looks like two of them go to the #44 RF tube on the front corner of the chassis. The other end goes to ground, of course.

The other question I have concerns the #5 bakelite block. There's a .09 mfd cap in the block along with a 300 ohm resistor. Should there be a wire going from one terminal of the block to the #41 (99,000 ohm) resistor? There are two wires coming from the variable capacitor going to the ground terminal on the bakelite block. Is that correct? Also does one wire from this block go to the antenna coil?

I'm sure to most of you, these will all appear to be obvious. I just want to verify that what I'm doing is correct. You can never be too sure! Icon_smile Thanks in advance.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

It looks like 1 .09 goes to the grid of both 44's and the 36 the other .09 goes to coil #18 and the ant coil

The #5 block is in series to ground from pin 4 of both 44's. They are probably just using the ground conection on the block because it was the closest/convenient ground.

The cap going to resistor 41 should be a .05

Thanks, tab. My chassis was a mess... someone, sometime long, long ago added and replaced a bunch of stuff and so much of what was reconnected was soldered onto the wrong lugs. I'm going through the schematic with a highlighter pen trying to trace out each and every wire / connection / component. A daunting process. The .05 cap between the 41 & 42 resistors was an easy one to find. But on my chassis, there was a wire going from the #5 block to the 41 resistor. I'm thinking it doesn't belong there.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org