Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16b restoration help needed

Just finished my first restoration on a 16b. I replaced all the caps and whatever resistors needed to be replaced. Also had the tubes tested and the on off volume control switch is new ( built by Mark at old radio parts ). When I first turned it on the volume was very high and could not be controlled. I realized the pot was not grounded, so I fixed that. Now the volume does not get very loud at all. No where near as loud as it was when I first had it on. Any ideas? The only cap I haven't replaced is the one on the volume control knob, but it seemed to be ok when I tested it on my multimeter. Haven't started the alignment yet. Could that be the problem?

Are you sure its wired right? If it was full volume before that makes me think the wiper wasnt wired in and now with a ground its shorted

First of all, check your volume pot.

Report back.

It ended up being the capacitor. The only one I didn't replace because I thought it
would be good. Thanks for the reply though.

There's a lesson.
Folks wisdom has its merits.
Replace'em all.

Never ever trust a 70-80 year old capacitor no matter what your meter tells you. It WILL come back to haunt you as you now know.

Gregb