Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grill time! Making a replacement grill mold NEW PICS

So I have finally gotten the time to work on making this new grill mold and I now know why no one has done it. It is a complicated mold but I have been piecing it together to see where there would be issues and finding ways to work around them.

I have received my load of mold supplies from smoothon.com and have begun forming the clay layer for the bottim half of the mold.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Will be watching.

Don't overcook my rib-eye!

I was afraid there for a sec you were about to throw some broken cabinets to make charcoal.....whew!
OK, its THAT grill.....

Yes, It is the Grill I was trying to rent, buy, get photos of, get measurements of, and so on. I finally got to just buying the whole radio and ripping it apart to get the grill.

I purchased smooth-on rebound 25 But after pouring it I think it might be too soft. I am going to demold the piece later today and see how the extra thickness I added has done for the dexterity of the bottom half of the mold.

Unfortunately, I only bought the $30 size and had to use it up. Now I will have to buy the $200 size but I will wait to see how strong the mold is.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Hey all,
Ok I have demolded the bottom half and I was correct in my thinking. Although it is a good copy of the grill, it is too soft to keep a perfect form so I will be reordering Smooth-on OMOO 25 or 30 in the larger size to make the mold.

You have to buy non-vacuum press 1 to 1 mix ratio!!

Good thing is that with the tiny alterations I made to the grill, there are no issues in the de-molding process as long as I use a mold release. You really don't need one with silicone as it is a very non-porous almost moist surface but it cant hurt.

I purchased their 2 part plastic and got some brown and black dye.
Hopefully when I mix 2 separate batches of light and dark brown and pour them in together they will swirl like the original.
I also am going to purchased the translucent mix.

No more progress until I get all the new supplies but here is the finished bottom half of the mold.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

You are on you way to fame!

+1 !!! Icon_clap

Kirk,
Very interesting . Thanks,
Henry

Hey Kirk
How's the grille coming along? haven't heard anything in a while. Have a nice 42-854 waiting for a new grille. It's a kewl set portable covering the AM BC and SW bands. Roll top front cover.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N06/10005103205/
Terry

funny you should post. I was going to update it this week. I am in the process of trying to make the grills but the mix of brown and black is not working out. I may have to make plain brown grills. The white and tan ones are easy but I don't have any produced and pictured. just a few failed tries.
I should have them being made within the next 30 days when I get a free minute, lol

As of 1/01/2021

You can make them and sell them! Then you'll have more money for radios!

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I actually just listed a bunch of the radios for sale to try to even out my spending. I already have almost 30 radios and that was $2000.00 (including parts, tubes, caps, resistors, and refinishing products.
Thought it would be less since I only buy cheap poor condition radios right now.
So I have entered the sellers market, UGH. Mostly since someone local offered me a radio collection but I have to buy it all or nothing. I should ask for some pictures, maybe it would be worth it?

Anyway I will be making them to sell on the eBay but for you guys I will only charge double. Icon_mrgreen

What colors should I make?
I have brown, white and tan-ish so far.
I was gonna do black but I don't think there were ever any black.

As of 1/01/2021

I think I'd go with brown and white. The white is not a stark white but more of an egg shell. I think there is a caramall colored one also. The brown has a bit of a dark swirl. You may just what to do a quick scan though epay under Philco portable. You should be able to find lots of deformed grilles
Tnx for taking a stab at making these grilles. The Philco community really appreciates it! Hopefully you can come up with some pricing that will good for both maker and buyer.
Terry

Well on here I will charge for supplies. On ebay I think about $40 and see if I sell any. I have looked online and the tan and black swirl is most used and warped. I cant do the swirl though.

As of 1/01/2021

The most popular Philco that uses this grille, the 41-226 "Sled," uses a dark brown grille. That would probably be your best seller. Too bad you can't do the swirl, though - that would sell very well also, I think.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN