Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grunow Teledial

You never know what someone will answer you want ads with on CL, but this sent me on my way today. (Also the reason I ended up with that nice Philco 38-12CB as I was not going up that way today!) Anyways, last night a guy answered my Philco 15X wanted ad stating he had a Grunow Teledial radio up in Norton, Ohio. I wasn't really sure, but I know these seem to be desirable and this was the 12 tube model, so off I went today. I managed to get the radio, but it needs some cabinet repair and is missing four tubes. Still, it looks neat and I like that dial design. The colors on the dial look pretty good, so they should really show up nice when this radio is working again.

As an added bonus, the original manual came sliding out from under the chassis when I went to load this set. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

Cool radio,
Needs that lower support on the cabinet though.
Pretty easy fix there.
Congrats,
murf

I'll have to try and fabricate a support for it. The upper support is cracked, so will glue that. Managed to get the cabinet a bit more solid by taking a screwdriver and snugging down the seemingly 1000 screws on this thing. Most snugged down, but some are stripped. Anyone have the measurements for that lower support? I thought it was just a wide piece of wood, but it appears to be a thinner piece with a triangular support at each end. Going to try to find a piece from a junk cabinet of some sort to use so the wood won't stand out from the rest of the cabinet.

Nice one!

VERY nice find, Jay!! Icon_thumbupIcon_clap

That's a model 1291. I have seen them with either PP 6F6s driven by 6C5s or 6L6s driven by 6F6s, depending on which chassis you have.

Several of my radio-buds hold the 1291 in high esteem!!!

Looking at your chassis again, you have a 6C5 in one of the driver sockets, so I think it is the PP 6F6 variant.

Yep, this is the 6F6 variant. Actually, never knew they made different versions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing major is wrong with this set other than the usual recap, replacing the missing tubes, and redoing the dial cord.

Congrats on the find, Jayce!

The lower support piece is 21 1/8" long by 3/4" thick by 2 9/16" high.

Once you have that on then there are two more supports behind the board on the inside of the base.

Gene

Those used to be considered desirable, but Grunow (General Household Utilities) was more or less an orphan brand, and they built and sold a lot of the 12 tube Teledial models, probably because the price was under $100. I think that the model with the P-P 6L6s driven by 6F6s may have been the 15 tube model, it also had three speakers. There was also a less common variant with the 12 tube chassis that had a door over the control panel. In any event the one you have is the same model they pitched in an ad featuring the late Shirley Temple (Black).
One issue that these sometimes run into is an open broadcast oscillator coil, so check that over. I think that Bob Anderson has a non Teledial model with a very similar chassis and front end and he may have had problems with that. These sets had separate oscillator and mixer tubes, and a tuned RF amplifier stage, I think that they may have also had an AFC but don't quote me on that. One problem I noticed with Bob's Grunow is that, unlike a contemporary Philco or RCA model, it did not have a very good band spread, which is a shame. Maybe the Teledials were different? One thing is for sure, they beat a brand Z model for dial appeal.
Regards
Arran

Nice grab.....From what I hear, the sound form that set is supose to be awsome.

Arran

Beating the brand Z for dial appeal is a matter of preference. I like the way this one looks, sed magis I like the Z black dial, especially the iris type. It is all personal, in the end one's own child is the cutest even if he is Andre the Giant and the neighbour' kid is George Clooney.

Forgot.......the triangle blocks on top of the support are 2" X 2" X 3 1/4".

Gene

When the chassis is all finished this is how it will look and the performance is very good. [Image: http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a508...0d4f09.jpg]

Underneath [Image: http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a508...2abe17.jpg]before the rebuild.

Up top [Image: http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a508...854e11.jpg]