Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 70 refinish

Hello to all. I recently posted a problem with the veneer on this radio which I finally corrected and now am back for some more info. This radio has mahogany sides that have been sanded down to the bare wood. I understand the correct way to redo the finish is to use toner laquer, but being somewhat a novice using toner laquer, I wanted some tips as to how to proceed. I assume the toner goes over a clear coat of laquer. Is this right? Also, is there any surface prep to the wood before using the laquer? Is it ok to use stains or not? I understand they aren't original to this radio. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi

You want to prepare the surface first by using grain filler over the entire surface of the radio cabinet. Some refinishers prefer to compensate for the pores in the grain by using several coats of lacquer instead of filler, rubbing down between every so many coats.

Grain filler can be tricky to use. You have to work fast...allowing the paste to se up just enough to remain in place without getting so hard that it is hard to remove the excess without sanding. Burlap material is handy for removing excess wood filler from the surface.

Once the surface is prepared and smooth, you apply toning lacquer until you have the correct uniform color overall, then apply clear lacquer OVER the toner, not vice-versa.

Stains can be used if the bare wood is blotchy and non-uniform; but the toners is what gives the cabinet its rick, uniform color overall.

I will readily admit that I am no expert on refinishing; I do much better at chassis work. But what I have given you here are the basics.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron for your reply. I have only two more questions. What color of toner laquer would you recommend for the main body and would the same color toner be used for the front with the speaker grille? Thanks.