Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

70 chassis

Are there any visual differences between early and late version 70 chassis' ? I have a 70 that is missing tubes, tube shield and labels and was wondering, besides tracing the electronics are there any obvious signs to tell which version it is.
Thanks, Todd

Check volume control early sets have a dual pot later with AVC will have a single unit.
Terry

Also, looking at the chassis from the back, on the left side, the early 70 has three compensating condensers. If there are four, it is a late model. This is good to know when looking at a 70 on Ebay when they don't show an under chassis picture.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks for the replies. It is apparently an early chassis, I have another early set but I couldn't get to it (without an afternoon worth of digging) to look at the chassis. I would have rather it be a late chassis so as to have both versions. By the way, although both are early, one has a bakelite dial with 3 piece trim the other is a brass dial with 5 piece trim. I thought there was one certain dial type per version.

P.S. Mortz, I now understand what you mean about the grill routing, these 2 are different, one is just a concave strip cut out of the top 1/3 of the grill, the other is more like the "Russian R" picture you posted.

Yep. Now you know Icon_smile
Tim The Mad Murdock and I just went though a 70, each one, so if you have questions - ask, will be glad to help with electrical part.