Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

.5 10 cap and electrolytic box question

I have these caps that say .5 and 10.
Is that 10volts? is using 630v bad?

I have the Ecap box but it does not say a voltage either. sch. only says 8 and 8 uf. what voltage should I use?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...003114.pdf

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

The only .5 I see is before the vibrator, from A to ground, is that the one? Since this is a 6 volt set, anything about 10v is fine. 25v is probably a standard value. No problem with using 630v, but they will be much bigger than necessary.

For the 8uf, it depends on what B+ is, but you should be fine with 350v. The 33 output tube requires 180v, so I don't think things are much higher than that.

Edit - I see another .5 now, from the vibrator shield to ground. Same thing with it, low voltage but 630v is also fine.

Quote:I have these caps that say .5 and 10.
The capacitor pictured is a .5 at 10 volts, but as sky noted anything over 10 volts is fine until size becomes an issue.

For electrolytic caps I usually just stock 450V for the majority of sets I work on. The newer ones are small enough to re-stuff even a lesser rated older capacitor if you're so inclined. Occasionally I'll need a higher voltage filter capacitor, but not very often. Again, as sky noted 350v is probably fine in this set, but if you have a stash that are rated a higher voltage feel free to use them if size permits.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

OH MY GOSH, Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol

In November when I first started recapping, I had a westinghouse with the same caps and I thought it was 1000v so I replaced all the 10v caps with 1000v caps........

What a rube I am.

As of 1/01/2021

The buffer caps in vibrator sets are very high voltage, somewhere around 1kv or more. Make sure those are big enough.

Yeah they were marked 1200v. She is all back together but I will ge getting rid of it. Don't love it and have too many radios that I like more. Gonna start listing some on eBay and see what happens. Don't really care about the money and they will all be listed as is since I only recapped them and don't have the tools to check and tweek stuff. Then I will buy a nice tube checker, variac and signal generator. Then learn to use them lol

As of 1/01/2021