Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-460 squeal

No rubber wiring. The routing hasn't been altered. I can change the pitch by messing with the alignment but I'm unable to get rid of it. Could the antenna have something to do with it?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

I've repaired about 12 hippos and haven't had any issues with squealing. They are fairly simple radios to restore. I'd say, that if yours has a replacement antenna, that's probably a good place to look.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

A well working well aligned radio should not squeal or howl because of antenna. Antenna could make the reception quality go up and down, but not make the radio squeal. Even if it is a regen.
I am driving at that if you will be able to stop it from squealing with antenna, try to look some further as to why isn't it stable with any antenna.

Yeah, I thought it was a fairly simple radio also. It's not my first Hippo either. I have never had a problem with squealing before. I put it aside for a while. I need a break from it. Then I'll go back and recheck everything.
I guess the biggest problem is that it didn't work at all when I got it, so I don't know if something was done to it that I haven't seen yet.
Thanks guys, I'll let you know when I find something.Icon_crazy

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Mike, what if the replacement antenna were hooked up to the wrong connections? Like directly to the tuning gang? Could that cause it?

Well, maybe. If it were. But then this is something elese than just wrong antenna, this is exactly what I was referring to - something wrong with the radio.
The only thing I can't fathom is how one hooks up an antenna to a tuning gang other than on purpose.

Quote:The only thing I can't fathom is how one hooks up an antenna to a tuning gang other than on purpose.

Well, perhaps the person who replaced the antenna didn't know how to hook it up? .. I am just taking a wild guess. If the alignment has no effect on the squeal, and it isn't the wiring, then what could it be? Someone replaced the antenna - that is the only clue.

Well, that is a valid supposition, I guess.
Sometimes it is helpful to allow for a thought that a previous repair person was an idiot; unfortunately I only do that when repairing my own stuff; when I try to help someone, this thought somehow eschews me. It shouldn't.