Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Starting on Philco 111.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1930a.htm#c

This is the one I went to Springfield MA this last fall for.
It is this lowboy cabinet (the link above). I thought it is 96.
But there are no labels on either radio or the chassis.

If anyone knows exactly please let me know. I could probably research it but it is easier if someone already knows the answer.

Now here are the chassis' photos, maybe this will help to identify it.

So which one is it?

Looks like a 111 or early 112 to me.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

A-ha! ys th cabint I guess was the same between all these lowboy models.

Thanks Ron, 111 then it shall be from now on!

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1931a.htm#c

As you can see in the link above, the 111 was sold as a lowboy in the same cabinet as 1930 Philco lowboys.

Congratulations, you have the best of the bunch of lowboys of that cabinet style. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow. This radio is a monster! 11 tubes. And the detector is not the plate type.
I suspect it might be a nice player.
Ron, what's your opinion of these?

PS. Just read your post. Still, if you know how they perform I 'd be interested in your prediciton.
PPS. the speaker I bought for 15 bucks plus shipping is from the 2x45 Push-Pull output radio with the same cabinet and looks the same as the on in th cabint so I have a spare.

More photos.

The radio was never touched, perhaps 3 tubes replaced - other are Philco balloons. Inside clean, the chassis itself has no rust whatsoever. Just dust.

I find it amazing when something that old is so original.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Yep. It is in great shape, the cabinet is in very decent shape too, I do not think it requires full refinish, AND I paid 75 bucks for it, I think.
Of course there was a trip....but since I ended up visiting with a friend I do not count the trip cost towards this radio. Icon_lol

morzh Wrote:Still, if you know how they perform I 'd be interested in your prediciton.

Five words - You're going to love it.

In my opinion...the 111 and 112, along with the 1932 model 15 (which is essentially the same radio only with 6.3 volt tubes) are the very best AM-only radios Philco ever built. RF stage, two IF stages, and a "normal-maximum" switch for sensitivity. They are amazing performers. Actually, I think the 111 and 112 are both better than the 15. Again...my opinion. Anyway, there is a lot to like about these sets. Great performers.

The only drawback: They only tune as high as 1520 kc, and as low as 550, so you lose part of the modern AM band on both ends (mainly the high end). But as long as you don't have any AM stations you want to listen to at 540 kc or above 1520 or so, yep...you're going to love it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron, I am thrilled.
When I looked at the detector I thought that at least this part should be good.
Well, off to backelite recapping tomorrow!

Yes, the 111 has a 27 tube wired as a diode, used as a second detector and AVC diode. So you won't have the distortion issues in the 111 that you have in the early 70 and early 90.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I am so looking forward to it playing.

My 111 chassis has a toggle switch on the right hand side that's visible when looking from the rear. Anyone know what this might be for?

Craig R

Attached Files Image(s)

I restored one of these about 4 years ago for someone local
here who had heard that I worked on old radios.

It came out working very well, good sound!

Herb S.
Ithaca NY

I believe that is the local / distance switch.

Be sure to check all of the resistors carefully. There were a lot of bad ones in my 111. And Philco's color code is sometimes a problem as well, since they used colors like grey and dark grey (battle ship grey) for two very different values.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/