Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor replacement question

I have my Crosley open and am replacing the capacitors. I have a few of the caps that have 2 leads and a center wire.

I want to make sure I am rewiring it correctly so here is my question:

How do I wire the new cap into this spot

I have done this before but cant remember 100%. Dont I just use 2 caps with both negatives connected to the terminal where the center wire was?

Thanks for any help!

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk, do you have a link to the schematic?

That sounds right though...

Kirk

sch would help.

In general, just wire the plus where the old plus (center conductor) was and the minus where the case connects.
Importand: do not parallel to the old cap, it should be disconnected.
Q: what is this ... Jakec...? Who are they? are you sure they have electrolite inside and not flat Diet Coke?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/424/M0003424.htm

Oops
The Ecap is from Sals Cap corner. Hope it is not flat coke, I hate that!

As of 1/01/2021

Assuming you're talking about parts 8 and 9. Both negatives are tied together and to the B- rail, the center tap of the high voltage windings. The positives go to B+ before and after the field coil. The 35uf first, and 40uf second.

Part 10 is also an ecap, the negative goes to B- and the positive to the cathode of the 6F6

im not talking about the ecaps, just the regular caps. one wire out each end and one in the middle of the cap.

Thanks for the ecap help though. I dont have to ask later Icon_lol

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

I've found the wire/strap to be a common connection for the two caps. Usually chassis ground. Crosley used a lot of these...as you can see!

Just another tip...On that Jake electrolytic I notice the leads are bent perpindicular to the case. Not a good practice. You should leave some straight lead coming out of the bottom for at least 1/8" or so. That will minimize the strain on the internal connections and minimize the risk of the positive lead shorting against the case. Remember these things get bumped around over the years.

GL,
Bill

Ok so I do use 2 caps of the same value and just wire the negs together.
There are too many ecaps in this radio, Icon_lol

The Ecaps with just one wire coming out are grounded to the can right?
Or could I ground it to the chassis?

This radio is in bad condition. the one ecap on top was I guess a wet ecap and there is a hole in it from something eating away the tin.
the other has no hole but the insides are busting out of the bottom. many of the caps wax had bubbled out and both dial lamps are blown out.

Glad I didn't plug it in, Icon_lol

As of 1/01/2021

>>>there is a hole in it from something eating away the tin.

A rodent with a tin deficiency?

strong rat!

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Oh that's aliminum.
The rodent obviously heard of the aluminum to alzheimer link legend and is building the resistance to aluminum.

In the example shown the case of the can is connected to chassis ground. Sometimes they will be mounted on a disc of insulating material and the negative connections will be made via a ring on the bottom of the chassis.

On those dual wax caps they often have different values on either size. Use the schematic.

Ok so I just want to be clear. These are regular caps with 1 wire out each end and one center wire. Which is negative and which 2 are positive.
The center wire connects to 2 wires that run to speaker. One end then goes to 5z4 and the other goes to the band switch.
They are 17y and 17z i believe. one is .006 and the other is .03. i can t read the schematic so where does the 03 go to and where does the .oo6 go?

I just thought that I have been thinking that there is positive and negative but Dug there isn't.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Quote:Ok so I just want to be clear. These are regular caps with 1 wire out each end and one center wire. Which is negative and which 2 are positive......
Kirk, polarity (+ or -) isn't a factor with regular capacitors, only with electrolytic capacitors, which these paper/wax capacitors are not.

But, as exray mentioned, there are often two different values there, so check the schematic or carefully read the capacitor label. Then just tie one end of each new capacitor together for the center lead and you're all set.... no positive or negative to be concerned about on the modern replacements for the paper/wax caps.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yes I understand that but where does the .03 go and where does the .006 go. I cant understand the schematic. Does the .03 go to 5Z4 or to the tone control

As of 1/01/2021