Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Vibrator Cross Reference?

Happy Spring!

I'm trying to find if anyone has a cross reference guide or a vibrator substitution book to look up a part for me?

It's a Philco Part number: 41-2015. 6 Pin Synchronous Vibrator it's 130 not 60 cps(?)

I know it's a Mallory, their name is stamped inside on the vibrator assembly. no other numbers though.

I've picked up a few various philco universal 6 pin synchronous vibrators but none seem to have the proper pin-out, I'd rather go through trying to find one before I start rewiring stuff.

Any help would be most appreciated!

[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...b6a591.jpg]

Bret

Bret,
Mallory lists a p/n 246 vibrator for a replacement.
However it also notes wiring changes that need to be made.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Not exactly what you were looking for but the Vibrator Power Supply Design book by Mallory might have some help.
The download link is almost at the bottom.
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

BTW I remember opening up a lot of old vibrators and repairing them. Still remember the smell of the rubber inside.Icon_smile

There are a LOT of good reference books on tubebooks

I found a Packard / Philco Sams Photofact that had a cross reference for that radio from Packard / Philco to Mallory and something too fuzzy to read but like Rad?art. So you might try looking for a Sams. Probably too old for a Sams

I will keep looking around my old references and add a sub book to my list to look for at Dayton next month.

I would open it up and have a look, I bet the only thing wrong is the point need cleaning. I have done this many times with good results.

Gregb

Sams didn't start until the 40's, I think(?)

I've been digging a bit, but it gets tedious.... I was hoping for a direct replacement, I should've known it would be a challenge. :-)

Apparently I've been to this site before.. I did download "Fundamental principles of Vibrator Power Supply Design" published by Mallory published march 1947.

Would be nice to find a book with the proper pin outs. I suppose I could peruse schematics and such. This one just has a retaining ring at the bottom, so I can open it up easy and I know that smell you refer to!

maybe I ought to work more on the contacts with my contact burnishing tool or try the 40 watt light bulb in series trick? it works but it speeds up and slows down a lot.

locating a vibrator is a pet project between radios for me.

The Google searches came up with some of the old radio monthly pubs that I downloaded and am happy to get and enjoyed looking at.

They mention a Mallory complete data book or something like that.

I will be on the prowl for that one. If I find one it will get scanned and shared.

use care with the burnish tool. The sh#$y contact appearance is ideal. The surface is peaks & valleys caused by arcs that make better contact in micro seconds than the ones that look smooth. Look into the caps across the contacts. They are "tuned" like the cap in an old distributors across the ignition coil.

Just found the 1945 Radiart vibrator replacement guide on line. Might be able to cross and recross.
1945 Radiart Vibrator Replacement Handbook PDF

A bit of looking in the book
105 HZ
6V max 4 amp
Radiart P/N 5428 Base X

A quick reverse look found Mallory P28Y is same thing

Under use it looks grim.
6V Household Sync. 1936
Philco 624, 624B, 624H, 624R

Last page says use a 5411 (fairly common) and note 15 says rewire base from X to V. Base diagrams are all in the book.

I found that one a month ago too.. but trying to find any of the three is proving to take some time. Icon_smile

I've even got saved searches on ebay. someone mentioned a wiring change to use other vibrators. wish I knew the pin outs of these vibrators without having to cut them open.

The pin outs are in the Radiant Handbook page 22. The original is X and the substitute replacement is V

You can reverse look up the 5411 and find part numbers from many manufacturers in section F pages 26 to 30

Section H pages 32 to 39 gives you every radio a particular vibrator was used in.

The book is gold mine of information.

oh.. so they are Icon_redface

I skimmed through it and I'm not sure I made it that far or I sailed past those pages figuring it was just all cross references.. between this and the mallory book it's just about everything you need to know.

Try to contact member Tom Forbes
He now owns my Cross Reference Catalog no longer available from AES
VERY USEFUL

Bob T