Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

111 grillcloth cardboard frame.

Jamie

If I knew where to buy them tongue depressors...Where is MASH 4077 when you need it.

Well, will drop by Michaels tomorrow, see what is there.

or maybe popsicle sticks...at your grocery store.

hey morzh
theirs a new hobby lobby here in Lawrenceville
sam

Sam

Like Michaels or more towards technical side?

Mike.

Hobby Lobby is sort of like a super Michaels. It's a lot better, but not really oriented to electronics. You can get popsicle sticks at the grocery store.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Well, Michaels is 2 miles away....

If the board material is too far gone, you might want to look at some MDF panel material at Lowe's or Home Depot or your local lumberyard. I had to use some MDF material to replace a crumbling grill cloth backing board on my 40-201. It worked well and was about the same thickness and the original material.

Joe

I went to Michaels, bought a matting frame...looked at it awhile....today brought it back and returned it. I need some masonite/mdf for it. Cardbord won't do well in there.

I could have mailed you a piece of original backer board by now. I can just give it to you when we get together.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

OK, thanks Kirk. It can wait.

There is a card-like material, about a 1/8 of an inch thick used to protect stacks of Masonite and other materials in transport. It is very much like the material inside of old car door panels. Many hardware dealers save it. I purchase sheets of 4' X 8' for around $3.

To be perfectly honest, the more I look at the panel the more I wonder if these 4 beams have any role in keeping the cloth taut at all.
I mean, they are 1/2" wide flexible beams whereas the panel itself is over 1" wide on each side, which makes it the main stretching force for the cloth. if anything they are flexible and somehow I think they suffered their fate exactly for that. Those that are not broken off are still cracked at where they meet the circumference of the frame.
I wonder if I should even bother.

Mike, if the grill cloth was not glued to them or even if it was, I suspect that those are there to keep the grill cloth from jumping back and forth with the speaker putting out some strong sound.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

It was not glued to them or there'd be some glue residue on both the cloth and the strips, and possible damage.

yes I suspect it is there to keep the cloth to be sucked in (maybe) during a strong pull because a strong push they cannot keep it from unless it was glued to them (which it wasn't).

I would say the main reason they are there would be just to help keep the shape of the cloth. Without it, the cloth would stretch easier and wouldn't be as taught after some time. Just a little bit of backing to keep its shape longer. Surprising what just a little will do to help keep its shape. Is it probably broken some from being bumped again and again over the years.