Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

111 grillcloth cardboard frame.

Jamie, Great advice. A wooden popscicle stick! That would work great! Hey I think I have a box in the freezer....?

What I am not sure of is how do I glue the popsicle sticks there? They are shorter than the diameter of the circle they go into.

OK, I at least solved the problem of what to use: Lowes paint mixing sticks are exactly what is needed.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/use...OgodaXMAog

Thy are pine wood, about 1 ft long.
And, they are FREE!!!

Now.
The main dilemma is, how exactly do I use it?
The support is a cross.
I cannot make a cross having vet and horz on the same plane: one will have to go over another and so will bend. I neec them lying in the same plane.

If I break one, it won't hold.

Ideas?

It is possible to cut half way through on both sticks so when you put them together they are level on each side. Although you would need a table saw or similar to cut through half way on each stick where they cross over each other, the same width as the sticks to do this. It is probably the best way if you have the tools.

Mike,
I will make you a new one. When we get together bring it and I will mail the new one back to you. I have a nice big piece of backer board from a scrap radio. Or mail yours to me and I will give you the new one when we meet up. If you would rather do it yourself, I understand

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I personally don't think those supports are going to make that much of a difference. Plenty of other radios out there that didn't use those and the grille cloth wasn't blown or sucked out of the cabinet Icon_e_wink

But if you want to keep things original, and I can understand that, forget the popsicle sticks, tongue depressors, and paint stirs. Do it right by getting an appropriate piece of backing board and make a new one. Either take Kirk up on his offer or send him the dimensions so he can send you a piece to make it yourself.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Kirk,

Yes that'd be great.

The only thing that worries me is how I am gonna take off the cloth and glue it back. Old cloth, would hate to damage it.

Removing the grill cloth should not be that hard. Most times you can slowly pull it off with some heat. I can do it if you send it to me to copy

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I will bring it along I guess....

Next weekend maybe? The pot should come some time this week.

I have succeded (almost 100%) with fixing this.
It would be a 100% but while trying to push a piece of saran wrap under the cloth and frame while gluing things (and I was being very careful) I ripped a little one place, very close to the edge of the frame. This cloth is obviously fragile.
I only found it today when unclamping the piece and seeing the wrap protruded through the rip.

I will use fabric glue and paste a piece of another speaker fabric over the rip to stop it from spreading.

Otherwise (will post the photos later tonight) here's what I did:

I split one of the paint stirrers in two longitude-wise, the length happened to be exactly what I need, and using a chisel, carved out some wood in the middle of each one so when they are crossed they'd be flush to each others surfaces.
Then I glued them together.
Then I took the old pieces of cardboard from the original frame, trimmed them a bit and glued on top of the four cross beams.
This is to compensate for the fact that the cross will be resting on top of the old frame and so it will not contact the grill fabric, and so will not support it. With the pieces in place they will contact the fabric exactly where they used to.

This solved the problem.

Glued together after cutting the groove.

The old cardboard glued to pad the cloth

Glued to the frame.

Last question

In the 111, is the grill frame GLUED to the front panel? I cannot find hokes for screws and the frame has pinholes in the corners.
And I noticed some glue residue at he edges of the frame.

How if not that was it secured?

Yes, cutting that groove so they fit together and will be flat is exactly what I was talking about.. wasn't sure if you understood what I was trying to say. Icon_wtf

Warren

No I did not. Especially since you said it would require a table saw Icon_lol - I got scared.
Plus the sticks are thin - they are about 2.5mm (100 mils or so) thick.
Then I modeled it in my brain and thought that I could try to use a chisel.
Did not take long - 10 minutes altogether, considering you could not rush it or you will either cut through a stick or through you finger. Icon_smile

So that the question does not get lost - to those who have a 111.

How does the grill cloth frame gets attached to the speaker board? Nail, screws or glue? or none of the above?