Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Mikes 70 DONE

Kirk, I think you are on the right track. A couple of coats of sanding sealer followed by the toner should do it.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks Steve,
I went to buy it and boy has it gotten expensive. I took 4 years to use the last can so I think I will get my moneys worth.Icon_lol

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Today I unclamped the base and it is nice and strong. If I dropped it off the 2nd floor it would survive. well, the base would...

I glued and clamped all the separations from the arch and the sides and tomorrow I will sand to remove any excess glue and grain fill the arch and molding on the front.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk,
That is quite a job you are doing. I expect you will start getting inquiries regarding rrefinishing other radios.
Thanks for sharing,
Henry

Unclamped the cabinet for the final time. I was going to grain fill but I found a veneer issue I didn't want to leave.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

GRAIN filler!!

Grain filler was finally applied to the cabinet! I stripped the molding and put sanding sealer on it. Will tone tomorrow.

All veneer is fixed, the entire cabinet is glued and solid. Faca and grill are completed.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Toning day,
Taped off the columns and toned the inside grooves Ex Dk Walnut.

Then toned the entire cabinet with a medium walnut. I want to let the lacquer set for a day so I can sand the cabinet before clear. Too much dander in the air and the finish is not smooth.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Take your time Kirk, no rush Icon_smile

Today was rebuilding day. I took the freshly toned molding and attached it back on to the cabinet with the original nails and added some glue. I filled any crevices and the countersunk nail holes and tomorrow I will finish toning the trim, Put the face back in and clear clear clear...

In about a week I will finish sand and wax her up.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Can I say...........JUST BEAUTIFUL!!

Bad start to a day!
Finished toning and Untaped to reveal pulled up finish and perfect brown seeped under the tape. Have to strip and re-start.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Bad Perfect Brown! Bad!

Ok I finally got it right. Icon_crazy

I toned the front and then cleared 6 good coats. Sanded 400-2000 and will wait a day or so for the cabinet finish to harden. Then I will Apply some pumice and rub out the cabinet. Since it is a high gloss finish I will rub it out again with lemon oil and then wax her.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

And you people were serious when you told me that I could do all this!
I would probably retire by the time I finished it.

Well I buffed her out with oil and cloth and then added 6 coats of wax.

I re-assembled her and now to let the wax harden for a week or so.

As of 1/01/2021