Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 620 speaker baffle repair

Help, HElp, HELP:

I am replacing the speaker baffle to a 7.5" speaker for a Philco 620 radio. The bottom of the new speaker baffle is not deep enough and is slightly larger than the diameter of the speaker coil. What can I use and how can I attach the new baffle to the speaker coil without reducing the speaker coil affect on the baffle? Thanks in advance for your help.

Second, I need some cloth tracer wire to rewire the speaker and other wiring in the radio. I tried Sundial but they have not gotten back to me.
Suggestions on where to get some wire? Icon_rolleyes

God bless,

Dave

Hi David

Are you referring the the speaker cone when you say baffle? If so...the cone must be of the same depth as the original, as well as the same size, else it will not work properly (been there, done that).

If you get a speaker cone of the proper depth...use a small part of the old cone surrounding the voice coil to attach the new cone to. Use fabric glue, let it sit overnight, DO NOT rush the job. And don't forget to place three shims, evenly spaced, between the voice coil and the air gap in the field "pot." (And remove the shims ONCE THE GLUE HAS COMPLETELY DRIED on the cone - don't get any glue in the air gap or on the shims!)

As for cloth covered wires with color tracers, good luck. I'm not aware of anyone reproducing these, with the possible exception of outfits which reproduce vintage wire for automotive restorations.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

THanks for the insight, as to the wire, I tried the auto restorers, ths samllest wire they have is 18 gauge.