Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

D-10A confusion

I recently got a 46-1203 at an antique store, and the radio portion functions. However, the tone arm was missing the cartridge upon further inspection of the radio. I understand the d-10a player had a magnetic cartridge and the d-10 had a crystal cartridge, but my radio chassis doesn't appear to have any kind of magnetic pre-amplifier. Also, the ends of the wires left behind had the pin connectors I've seen used on crystal cartridges, instead of solder tabs. There is also a notch at the end of the tone arm as if an adjustment screw stuck out there. Is there any difference in the radio chassis used with each model of phonograph, and would it be possible to insert a crystal cartridge?

Will compare my D-10 and D-10 service manuals and get back to you this evening. At work right now. I don't believe the later A version used a mag pickup, but memory could be rusty.

Chuck

I'm working on a 46-1209 right now, & since the changers might
be similar---do they use a steel needle in the cartridge?
Thanks. Jim

Wise,

The D-10 uses a crystal pickup and the D-10A uses a dynamic pickup.
Radios that use the D-10A, like the 47-1230, switch in an extra amp stage.
Also, the changer has a step-up transformer from the pickup, also adding some gain.

Chuck

Okay, so I did some digging and discovered that the early d-10a changers, like the one in my 46-1203, DID use a crystal cartridge. However, the later units, like those in the 46-1209, used a magnetic cartridge. I looked under my tone arm, and sure enough, it had the screw hole placement for a crystal pickup (an Astatic L-70 or similar). It definitely explains why there's a slot in the tip of the tone arm.