Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone 45 chassis

I wonder if the Mission Bell built Silvertone sets were designs exclusive to Mission Bell or whether the chassis were built according to Sears designs?
On thing I noticed is that the chassis designs and layouts of Mission Bell sets are very similar to Packard Bell radios from the same era? Packard Bell used dials and control layouts that are very much like Mission Bell sets, generic knobs, and Quam-Nichols speakers, though it looks like some used Lansing speakers too.
Packard Bell was the successor company to Jackson Bell, organized by the same Herb Bell. A number of California built sets were manufactured in the Gilfillan plant in Los Angeles because they had an RCA license, those that were not made by Remler that is. If Packard Bell used the same parts suppliers or design then it would be much easier finding a junker Packard Bell chassis then a junker Mission Bell chassis.
With regard to coil forms, no a toilet paper roll will not work as a coil form, I think I tried it once when I was younger and the turns will just crush or deform the tube once you put any real tension on it. One think that may work is a cardboard tube from a roll of fabric or wrapping paper, they are much more rigid, perhaps the tubing from a roll of Seran Wrap or aluminum foil, if the diameter is right. Plastic pipe or tubing may be another option.
Regards
Arran

Kirk,
How about using a plastic prescription pill bottle and just cut the bottom off if necessary?
Henry

Kirk,
On page 1 Eliot Ness posted this link to http://sfhobbies.com/sfhobbies/radio/Cal.../index.jsp
You should e-mail them . They want to hear from people with Sears/Mission Bell radios and I bet they may well have the schematic that you are looking for.
Good luck,
Henry

Great ideas,

I actually did email the SFhobbies guy because they have one listed on their site. He did not have the information of the guy who supplied the pictures but he did have a picture of the rear of the radio he sent me.

He didnt have any other info.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

someone on the other forum is sending me the correct size coil tube with the 4 prongs and a horizontal mount so that's good.

Problem is that without the original or any schematic, how will Mike be able to rewind them? Icon_lolIcon_lol

New chassis washers are on the way too.

As of 1/01/2021

Ugh.....now....

1. Kirk, is it Mission Bell or Halson?
2. The bobbin that is separate with no wire on it, was it ever part of this radio or you gave it to me to play with?
3. What does everyone think, should I even attempt given the condition?

Wow mike
You like to torcher  your self 
Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I don't. Kirk does. First he invites every rodent in the vicinity to a feast and then lets me deal with the consequences.

OK. Not Halson, Halson 45 is a TRF and this is clearly a superhet.

Kirk!

Have you found any info?
I saw your post on the ARF, but no one has the sch.
With all these disasters no schematic does not exactly help.

PS. OK, so from Kirk's earlier post I know this spare coil is something someone gave to him.
PPS. If the picture of that 45 from Kurtradio that is on Sfhobbies was fom Kurt Reed fom ARF, he died in 2010.

OK, Shoulda resurrected this topic i/o creating a new one but OK....

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/...-californi

OK. This is a 41, and contrary to what they showed on ARF, this 41 does look very close to our 45.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/...-californi

Yes that is a pretty exact match.
I have found zero info on the radio.

If you really don't want to do this repair Mike, you don't have to.
I mean, being a wuss is ok.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

One thing I am proud of in my life is, no one ever succeeded in "I dare you" with me Icon_lol

By the by, he who told you on ARF (drmitch) that the chassis on the photo he posted there for you was a 45 made a mistake.
This is the source where he took it from (note the same photo)

http://blog.kf7lze.net/tag/mission-bell/
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...1&t=251962

It is clearly stated in te blog it is a 35 chasis, not 45 so yes, it is different.

(02-12-2015, 08:08 PM)morzh Wrote:  OK, Shoulda resurrected this topic i/o creating a new one but OK....

Done - I merged your new topic into this one. Icon_smile

I think the coil form you were asking about is meant to replace the form that has been mostly eaten away by Kirk's little furry friends.

Now you have to engineer a new coil.

And if you can do that...maybe you can show me how to reverse engineer a set of coils for a Philco Tropic 40-710 or 41-705. It's basically a 38-15 in a bakelite cabinet, but has AM and two SW bands. If I could roll my own coils, I would make a reproduction of one of these sets, since I've never seen one for sale.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN