Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone 45 chassis

Nice work. Looking foward to fire up.

(02-22-2015, 05:00 PM)Mike Wrote:  Nice work. Looking foward to fire up.

+1   Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Oh....yeah, that speaker again Icon_lol
I guess, a Philco 39-7 speaker to the rescue all over again.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Please dont say Fire when Mike is working on one of my helpless radios, Icon_lol

A+ Mike

Oh and I may have cut off a bunch of wire that was hanging off the chassis but I don't think it will affect anything right. Icon_mrgreen

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Any more confessions? Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_lol
Did you forget the rule "don't cut off what's hanging, you might regret it!" ? Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike 
Looking good  Icon_clap

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Looks good Mike but just a thought. In the picture below there seems to me much more wire on the small bobbin. 
Maybe I really did remove wire?  Icon_e_surprised Icon_thumbdown

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

If you did it is no good. Why didn't you put this photo out before?
Do you have other photos of this coil?
Any other wires removed?

Wll, I will dismantle it and try to count turns on the photo.
For the future, the length of the wire left is the key, so do not touch it.

I don't think I would ever do that but I will look for photos when I get home.
I know I thought about it so I just wanted to say it as a far off maybe.

Hope I didn't screw this up Icon_rolleyes

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Well...imagine you came to a doctor with a majorpain in your behind. But because you feel uncomfy to tlk about it, the doc did something else, and you left the office with the same pain in your behind but without your tonsills and a prescription for estrogen ingections and a free box of Tic-Tacs. Icon_lol

You give me a pretty chewed up chassis that also has no sch, might as well tell me everything you know, every little bit helps.

OK. Disconnected the coil, wound 30 turns (this is what I was able to count on the photo).

Major pain in the behind? is that a metaphor for me Icon_rolleyes

At least I will have nice boobs doc Icon_mrgreen

Sorry Mike, I cant believe I didn't think of that and I cant believe I cut it... !!

If it doesnt work this time just call it done.
You have done enough work on it... Icon_cry

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Well,

I suspect if it works, the coil will still need adjstment.

Thing is, the coil in question is a part of the first tuning resonant tank. So the inductance of it is important.

Now, the formula for cylidrical coil involves:

1. Square of the number of turns (so it is the most important) and this is what we are guessing.
2. Length of the winding. This we also do not know.
3. Crossection area of the bobbin. This we know.

So, first order of approximation is, I think, OK, but then it will need some adjustment.

Some radio....

While resoldering electrolytics (wires cracked so I actually just put one right where the wires came from, and other needed a shorter single wire) I could not understand one wire coming to the solder post which came from dial lamps.
Obviously it was connected to the negative (xfmr centertap.)

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...010931.pdf

But.
This sch shows a sepatate winding for that.
I think they rely on negative bias developed across the field coil and the divider to light th lamps!

Wow....

Well, I rewound the coil, put 33 turns and will try to see (if it comes to life) how the signal resonates.

PS. Kirk, dost thou have the speaker AND canst thou measure thy speaker's field coil resistance?