Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 89/19

I'm starting a refurbishing of this late 89 (has 6 tubes--80,75,42,two 44s, and 36---and 4 knobs; one for on/off/ police band) for a friend. Any tips -- beside obvious recapping/resistors, etc? He says it "makes noise and he got one station on it--no antenna/ground hookup I'm sure. Probably a good sign!

Solid cabinet but finish looks original. Think it has an original cloth covered power cord but has "been into" because some capacitors have been replaced. But several dog bone resistors are still in place. Complete with a lovely dust accumulation and dreaded bakelite blocks too.

Is this a photo-finish on the front?

Attached Files Image(s)

Other than the obvious/usual...on Model 89 and 19 sets, you will have to deal with the oscillator coil. Chances are the "tickler" winding (the outer winding on the coil) is bad and will require rewinding.

I strongly suggest that, before you start to rewind that winding, that you remove the coil (make careful notes of what wire connects to which terminal) and bake the coil in your oven for 15 to 30 minutes at no higher than 200 degrees Fahrenheit. This will drive any trapped moisture out of the coil.

Scoff if you want, but it works...and sometimes, the coil simply will not work at all unless it gets baked first.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yup, after all the teeth gnashing and hair pulling that's what it took to get my 89 going.

I guess the coil thinks it is a microwave ove trying to boil a up of water Icon_lol
It thinks of itself too much...the frqeuency is too low.
Well, suerte! Keep us entertained!

Art,

I had a lot of trouble around the band switch, the tone control, and the two large e-caps. There isn't a lot of room and there is a lot of stuff right in that area. In order to be able to remove the tone control to recap that, I needed to unscrew the band switch from the chassis front and pull the shaft back into the chassis. I also had to remove the closest e-cap. It was a lot to take apart to just have access to the tone control. My advice therefore, is to take good notes and/or pictures so that you can get it all back together correctly.

Good luck!
Jon

I need a favor.

I am starting chassis work on this 89/19. I do not own Riders Vol. 3 which has the correct chassis schematic...I think. The Nostalgia Air printout is so small and so fuzzy (even an enlarged PDF image) that I cannot read some of the values for the resistors and caps which are listed on the left-hand side of "Philco page 3-33" in Vol. 3.

Can someone with a clear copy tell me the correct numbers, both the circled numbers and the values? Or maybe email a scan of your original?

I'd sure appreciate . Thanks.
Art

Hey Art, give Ron's site a look see. Find your version and you will be good to go. He was kind enough to give us this, we should use it.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/89evol.htm

Gregb

Art,

I recommend contacting Chuck Schwark at the Philco Repair bench. For $7 you get a nice package of large sized schematics, and other information. See below:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm

PA,
Problem is there were so many revisions on the 89, it's difficult to get those schems to match up with this radio so I don't know which schematic to ask Chuck for. I used him several years ago and appreciated what he sent me. Know he would do it again if I knew for certain which to ask for.

Art, just check the link I sent to Ron' site, all the variations are listed there and are nice and clear. Find the one that matches your set and you will be good to go.

Gregb

Art,

I include a printout of Ron's 89 Variations web page
(Ron's byline and copyright on it.) along with all my 89/19
info packets I send out.

Chuck

I've ordered a packet from Chuck and am holding my breath until I see what can be done with this chassis which apparently has been altered to the extent it doesn't fit any of the schematics on Ron's website concerning the "evolution of the model 89." If I had 10 more fingers and/or toes, I'd cross them all. Till then...

I'm in a Philco phunk. This chassis doesn't match up very close with Chuck's information or Ron's schematics on his "evolution" page. I hope my close-by radio buddy can help me figure this @*#&^# thing out. I think there were too many fingers in the bowl in the past. Oh well, nobody ever said these were easy to work on----did they?

Finally have decided to just start in, cleaning up the hum by the large filter caps and see where that leads me. Will replace some bad resistors, if there are some, along the way

Good luck Art!