Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I keep buying consoles

I picked this one up about ten minutes from my house. It's a Deforest Crosley model Wales type 71, 1935/36. it has nine tubes and plays ,but of course I have to change caps.
I really like our Canadian consoles because of the design and the different types of wood. The cabinets are built so strong and this one has marquetry which I like.
I plan on giving it to a friend of mine who is putting windows in my house.. he suggested I do that instead of payment....
Here are some photos for now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Too bad about the missing and or broken bun feet, that involves finding someone with a lathe to make some reproductions. I would also expect to find lots of rubber wire under the chassis, and hand wired circuit boards crammed in there. What really adds to the effect these sets have is the shading they applied as well as the marquetry.
Regards
Arran

Very nice set. The only problem with the cabinet are the feet. A little go-joe for a cleanup of the cabinet, and restore a finish you might be surprised how that cabinet will turn out. I like the dial on that set easy to read when tuning. Keep us up to date on the progress!

Neat set. One thing I enjoy about the Internet radio forums is seeing the different Canadian radio designs and cool cabinets. The Jonathan Hill books introduced us all to British radios, but aside from the Addison catalin radios that came across the border we never saw neat Canadian sets like this.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

It came with the broken pieces for the legs.. I just have to glue them on and touch them up.
I am not looking forward to the wiring if it is all crumbling.
So far I have not had a lot of problems with real bad wiring
Sometimes I need the parts list for the value of the caps if it is not stated on them. Nostalgia air did not have a parts list
I looked at the grill cloth and it looks like it needs to be replaced. I have not gone over the radio in detail but part of the marquetry on the top left side [facing radio] is missing a small amount.. I don't know if I can get anything that will match although there is an exotic wood supplier in the area.
I will keep you informed and if I need help i will ask for it ..Dan in Calgary

Philco John mentioned restore a finish. but I have never used it but maybe I will give it a try on a scrap cabinet.

Very cool looking radio. Love the dial, reminds me of older aircraft gauges

AJ

Go mountaineers!

I think that I have the Rogers service folder for this set, although it's labeled under Majestic. It is online too but someone forgot to scan the parts list, which you need to identify the capacitor values. Sent me a P.M with your email and I will scan and send the folder. If this set does use hand wired circuit boards the service folder will NOT show a layout of what is on those boards. What's more they liked using resistors with spade terminals on those boards, which also doubled as tie points, which you need to come up with a substitute tie point for if the resistor has drifted up in value. I drilled out the holes the resistors ran through and inserted 1/8'' metal eyelets to use as tie points, unless that tie point also connected to a wire going elsewhere under the chassis.
There is at least one book on Canadian radios but most lack a certain amount of detail I have been told, I read a review in the AWA Old Timer's Bulletin and there was a certain amount of disappointment There is another Canadian set that works it's way South a fair bit, other then plastic Addisons, the Northern Electric model 1000 series Bakelite sets with a waterfall speaker grille. I think it may be due to the sheer number produced, they basically made the same set, with minor revisions, from 1947-1950, even a series of battery operated versions.
The majority of books about the history of radio in Canada drone on about broadcasting which gets to be a bore. For some reason they think that talking heads from the radio contributed more to Canadian cultural identity then brick and mortar manufacturers and technology.
By the way, make a careful inspection of that Zebrano grained wood around the base before trying to strip, it may be a faux finish rather then real veneer.
Regards
Arran

A lot of radio companies did copy Philco on the "No Squat", "No Stoop", "No Sqint" way to make a radio cabinet. Was Philco the first one to come out with it?

Wow a real looker-Did you notice if there is a stamped name of the cabinet in back anywhere ?
Is that where the Wales name came from ?
That will clean up real nice. Love that inlay.

There is a piece of paper on the back that says WALES. There is also another paper glued to the back that says
Cabinet work by Beaver furniture Co Ltd
Kitchener Ont.
Interestingly enough There is another fellow [Tony F] that posted on ARF and he just got the same radio.. i don't think that would happen very often especially with a radio as rare as this..[If it is rare]

No, Deforest Crosley, had sets with an inclined control panel for at least three years before Philco introduced it, the highers end Rogers models had a flip over, rolling pin, type dial from 1935-38. This set is a 1935-36 model, the schematic is dated August 9, 1935, yes, Wales is the model, most Deforest-Crosley sets had names from the late 1920s onward, even low end ones. Even so there were other brand that built sets with inclined control panels before Philco, American Bosch had a number of consoles built with this feature.
Rogers cabinets were usually made by Knechtel or by Strathroy Furniture, some Rogers built sets also used McLagan built cabinets. I've never heard of Beaver Furniture, but then again Rogers didn't have their own cabinet shops so they likely contacted with whoever could supply what they wanted. In terms of rarity I would guess that they did sell a fair number of them as I saw one on craigslist in the Vancouver area the year before last, with veneer damage to the top, a nine tube model was at the upper middle end in terms of their offerings, the top models had 12 tubes, and there were 10 and 11 tube models inbetween.
Regards
Arran

I had a good look at the bottom of the cabinet and it is faux, not real wood.. I think I can clean it up so it will be presentable.

Very nice console, really like the dial! I have the same affliction with buying a lot of consoles, or I did 'til I ran outta room.

Mike

There were several manufacturers that had an inclined control panel before Philco's 1938 lineup.

Philco's marketing and sales strategy was superior.

Nice looking console!!!

Gene