Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

new safety caps from Justradios

I just got my latest order from Just Radios.. Seems like the Y2 safety caps have bulked up! I don't remember the .015's being this much bigger than the .01s. I hope they fit in the Bakelite blocks.. I thought the Polypropylene caps were larger than the polyester ones.

[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...6693ed.jpg]

They must have been workin out alot lately.Icon_wink

I use ceramic discs, 0.01uF Ys, they are much smaller.

I use X1 Y2 Class combined safety discs from Mouser, and like Mike said they are smaller, plus I only need to stock one kind:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vish...bK3NPbs%3d

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/emirfiy2-95424.pdf

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I usually do buy from mouser but I was trying to get to the 25 dollar minimum @ Justradios.

I thought Y caps could be used universally? in any case, I guess he switched brands. the smaller one in the pic I bought from him a year ago.

Yet another reason why I won't buy from "Just Radios", the $25 minimum, that and their prices are higher then just about any place else for the same products. That older safety capacitor is of the same brand as the oloy film ones that WJOE radio sells, the say TC on them, I think it stands for Tenta Capacitors.
Regards
Arran

Really? I made my very first order from Just Radios recently after finding that their 10 uF 500V electrolytics were cheaper than anyone else's. The box was here a week after I ordered it, and they threw in some black plastic spaghetti for insulating the leads. I will order from them again in the future, very satisfied with their quick service from Canada.

I've been using X1/Y2 disk caps from Mouser, though. I see that I am running low on those and will have to reorder soon.

(Oh, by the way, I moved this thread to Philco Electronic Restoration as it is more appropriate here.)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I bought about 100pcs of the disc ceramics from Mouser when I found one at about 10c apiece. The yellow ones. 10nF.
Not that I see them helping much.

Ron

I am not bashing anyone, just to remind that the price is not a/the criterion for buying electrolytics.

To me:

1. Ripple rating + temperature rating.
2. Brand. (no no-names or Roobycons or Nippicons).
3. A reputable distributor.

I always buy high ripple current rated caps. Suffices it to say that today's smaller caps even with the highest ripple rating are barely adequate for the large old radio repairs unless paralleled and such. And when we stuff them into the old shell this unimproves the thermal conditions by that much and so it becomes only worse.
So buying cheaper usually gets you a "general purpose" type even if from a good brand. Play this radio continuously for long time and you will see premature failures.

Please explain high ripple rated cap me thinks I need to understand! Thanks David

David

In a nutshell, caps are rated for a certain ripple current, above it they may heat above the allowed temperature.

This said, read up on capacitors, it is an interesting subject.

Suffices it to say that al. can caps of 10uF 450V are rated for roughly 130-180mA, and these are "high ripple" types, regular ones are 60-100mA.

I just happen to go there for the odd sizes he carries at a reasonable price. I was also out of 10, 15, 18 mfd lytics. Mouser was out of the ones I like. needed some .006 mfd's and a bunch of odd sized Resistors.. he has them all cheaper than mouser. Although... I should've just waited. they now have the ones I wanted that were back ordered, they weren't due in for a few weeks.

I also like to support people who support our little group of nutters. Although the 25 dollar minimum does irk me a bit. Gary @ oldradioparts.com does the same thing. "make it worth my effort, order more"

I didn't want my innocent little thread to create a controversy.

Morzh:

Another reason I like the Nichicon CS series.. they have a really high ripple current along with their super long life. they are generally reasonably priced.

Morzh, Thank you yes I will do some reading. David

Yes, many of the caps I buy are Nichicon.
Sometimes Panasonic has those I need.

PS. Mouser (and I deal a lot with it at work) is practically NEVER out of something you could use if it exists at all.
Same as DIGI-KEY.

Mike;
That's one of the issues I can see with regard to the old radio supply places, the polyester film types, not really a problem, but the electrolytics could be. Other then Antique Electronic Supply most of these places have electrolytics that either have no name marked on them or are marked by some mystery brand I have never heard of.
This does not mean that they are garbage capacitors like Xicon, or Capxon, Lelon, etc., but as you say they are likely general purpose ones, with an 85 degree rating. On the other hand Mouser, Digital Key, and Allied, carry Panasonic, Rubicon, United (Nippon) Chemicon, Nichicon, where they have the specs posted right on the website, higher ratings, and most are the same price, if not less, then the mystery brand caps you find elsewhere.
One potential issue that concerns me is with regard to replacing 1/2 watt resistors. Many of the ones on the market have a voltage rating of 250 volts, I would like to find some that are 450 volts or higher but it isn't easy, 350 seems to be the max among common 1/2 watt types. I don't know how they arrive at the voltage ratings on resistors, I guess that is the maximum voltage you can reach, with respect to ground, before they arc over.
Regards
Arran