Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Philco 45 (Kirk's)

I don't want to write too much.
Kirk did most of the recap.
I finished it plus the tone control rebuild.

Then there were resistors (4 altogether) out of spec badly enough.

Plus the tuning cap was propped up by pieces of wood.

Anyway, tonight I powered it and first heard nothing.
Ten minutes later I realized that the switch mounted at the back (not in the sch so I think it might be a home mod) disconnects the speaker. After that the speaker properly buzzed when grids were touched, and my local station came through.

the 6A7 is kinda weakish, as usual, but so they all, and the 75 diode-triode is very weak, both diodes do not even make it to the midle of the Red and the tiode is less than 50% of the initial value.

Tomorrow maybe will try the alignment.

PS. There is also a weird small socket at the back that connects to the last tone control cap, to the end that is switched off / on GND when the central contact touches it.
When it does it obviously is grounded.
So not sure what it is for (another home mod). Could be a headphone but it is a bad idea to do it like this.

Good job! Icon_clap

I think I have a 75 in this lot of tubes?
I found a 6D6 to replace the one I shattered while you guys were here Icon_lol

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Yeah...you should not be allowed near brittle glass things Icon_lol
Good.
I cannot pick myself up to alignment...wll, it is a holiday, hamburgers, beer.....

PS. Almost got to do it. When having set up the gen and the counter I realized I lost my alligator clips, so I cannot hook up to speaker.

No alignment for today.

Swang by my work today on my way back fom JFK and picke up my crocodiles Icon_smile

Aligned the set.

Penty of SW...I did not expect that on 2 feet of magnet wire for the antenna.

Opened the volume pot, tried to lube it.
Not sure how well this comes out. The pot is finicky, the contact is provided by metal tape pressed against the resistdive element by a bump on the shaft.
The shaft is a bit sticky, so I put some lithium grease where I could, the shaft is not easy to disassemble. It is better but not as smooth as I would like it to be.

spray little pb blaster on it really works well to loosen stuff up

Well,

I was able to extract the shaft and put some lithium grease inside the barrel, works much better now.
Also less scratchy, hopefully tomorrow when Deoxit dries, it will be even better.

(I soldered it back to see how it works)