Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Output tranny specs for Philco 41-300x

Looking to order a new Output transformer for my Philco 41-300x, and need to know the specs.
AES does not cross reference Philco part numbers with the transformers that they sell.
Would anyone know what info I would need to order the proper transformer for my radio?
Thanks,
murf

Murf

All you have to do is look right here:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=2556

Thanks again Mike,
The thread said original P.N. was 32-7997, whereas mine is 32-7981.
Any notable difference?
Sounds like there is a bit of a modification to the wiring on the Hammond.
murf

All I know the Hammond 125 is pretty universal, you have the taps almost for any input to output impedance ratio.

Part number 32-7997 is the recommended sub for a 32-7981 per the 1953 Philco parts catalog.

I think that a fairly generic push pull replacement output transformer, like AES and some others sell, should work, as long as the wattage rating is high enough. Type 42s, 6F6s, 6V6s, 6BQ5s and even 6L6s are pretty close in terms of plate load impedance, a 41, a 6K6, or 6AQ5 is not however.
Regards
Arran

Need your opinion on new tranny.
Radio Daze suggested that the Hammond 125d is a little light.
Suggested a 125E instead.
Opinions?
murf

D is a 10 watt transformer. E is a 15 Watt one.
I think the D is just fine, but the difference being mere 3 bucks......Actually I would go by size, whichever fits better. Power is not that important in this case.

Murf

There is no such thing as a weak OPT.
Short of keeping it on strong magnetic field and permanently saturating the core....though myself never heard of it.
Transformers do not get weak.

Ok, great news.
Just thought I would ask the experts.
You have been a great help Mike.
You really know your stuff.
I'll keep poking around and see if I can find anything.
Have a great night.
Thanks, murf

Just about any PP output transformer that was about the same size and weight and period would work just fine, lower voilume if mismatch, bu no fireworks. Use what you have or can scrounge.