Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transitone Details

Looking for some history and particulars on the Transitone table models 0f the 40's. They seem to be smaller, well designed yet simple radios.

They could be yet another catagory of Philcos to collect Icon_wink

Transitone models are very collectable - and are with many collectors.

Have you seen the HISTORY section here on Ron's site?

http://www.philcoradio.com/history/index.htm

(Programming note - Since we are talking about the home Transitone models instead of auto radios, I took the liberty of moving this thread to the Philco Home Radios section.)

Thanks, Chuck! Icon_biggrin

As Chuck pointed out, many of the home "Transitone" models have become highly collectible in the past decade - the Catalin and Art Deco crowd (i.e. deep pocket$) go after certain models, especially those with Tenite wraparound grilles.

I believe some of those early Transitone home models, especially the TH1, and the TH-4 and its siblings, use circuitry designed by Simplex. And at least one, and perhaps others, that used Tenite in the cabinet was marketed under the Simplex name as well as the Transitone brand (UA-52P/TP-52, 1940). On the other hand, the TH3 is simply a rehashed 38-12CB with a different dial scale.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron and Chuck - I've passed over a few at our local radio show,but may start buying them if priced right, could make a neat collection.

Also, the Philco history page is well done.

Drew