Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grundig 5008

Restoration not going so good. Set receives FM well, SW sporadically, BC never. Cleaned band switches the best I can. They are NOT easy to get to. Guess I'll have to have my radio buddy in town bring his signal generator over and see what we can see. Without dial stringing couldn't select stations anyway unless I leave the back off and that's problematical with a plug/power source integrated into the back.

BC is the easiest of all, you'll get it.

BC acts like it's going to ground somewhere...but where?

BC and SW antenna circuit is separate from FM, right? Given they both have problems, I'd look at that.
Is the oscillator also separate? Those could contribute to misbehaviour.

Stamped on the back; "FM 13 circuits AM 8 circuits" I don't know which tube is the oscillator--all tubes are foreign numbers which I'm not familiar with.

The problems with the AM broadcast band likely lie with that infernal band switch. I'm trying to recall which tube numbers they liked to use for the mixer oscillator tube but it's more then likely a triode-heptode of some sort, like an ECH83, or an ECH81. I have a personal dislike for most German radios, I would not pay any real dollars for one but in this case it was a gift and likely worth spending some time on. If anyone has a sudden urge to acquire a European set try a Phillips product, or possibly a Pye.
Regards
Arran

ALL the tubes tested good or very good on a TV7 tube tester. So I don't think the problem is a tube/tubes.

Thanks to Frank K. I now have a dial string diagram!

Good luck with yours Art.
I brought home a 5005w set tonight.
10 tubes and 2 speakers and weighs about 20 lbs.
Needs a good de-spider webbing and dust removal, but I do have audio.
No stations though.
Everything is in german, so I am not sure which band is am.
Need a couple knobs for mine.
i think it's about a 1951 or 52 model.
murf

murf
Do you have a schematic? (Of course, it will be in die Deutsche)
Art

Havent found one yet.
Here is an interesting problem,
The lights on each side of the dial illuminate, but yet they do not illuminate the dial.
If I shine a bright light in the hole, they kind of light up the dial, but not like they should.
I know you are going to say, the light hles are plugged up, or the lights are not bright enough.
Any other obvious suggestions?
murf

Are the lamps frosted?

I just did a search on Google for Grundig 5005W. There is a schematic on one of the hits.

http://elektrotanya.com/grundig_5005w.zip/download.html

http://elektrotanya.com/grundig_5005w_am...nload.html

(note: all text is in German)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Small success today! Figured out the FM tuning string configuration (with Frank Karner's diagram that he sent me). Needed 3 hands to hold, tension, and tie an end loop. What a pita! Glad to have a spouse willing to lend her hands. Hopefully the radio will still play. AM/SW challenge is next, particularly to get it to play on those bands.

Ever work with a wire tuning string tied by a spring to a cloth tuning spring??